Clear all

static (possibly linked to knobs)

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@curious_bob)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I think that the volume and tone knobs are causing static.

Is there a way to fix this or do I need to get new knobs?

(@mcdouggy)
Trusted Member

Like a crackley sound when you twist them? It tends to be the actual potentiometer itself and not the knobs.

Twist them from one end of their travel to the other quickly and repeatedly, and see if it goes away. If it comes back you can get some contact cleaner (electronics store, some guitar shops have it too) and spray a small amount in the back of the pot, twist the pot a few times to clear out the gunk, and it should hopefully go away. You may need to get a new pot in time though as this isnt a cure, but it'll relieve the symptoms.

Doug

Visit my band's website!

ReplyQuote
(@curious_bob)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

How do I get to the potentialmeter?

Also, there is static even when I am not turning the knobs (usually after just setting the knobs). Turning the knobs again fixes it after some fiddling.

ReplyQuote
(@mcdouggy)
Trusted Member

Depends what guitar it is, if it's a les paul type theres a backplate you have to undo, strat type you have to unscrew the scratchplate (and unsolder the ground lead from the back of the tremolo, then resolder when you're done), telecasters you can just unscrew the control panel.

If it's scratching when you're not turning the knob, you may want to check if it's the input jack (where the lead from your amp goes into the guitar). Grab hold of the cable at the guitar end with the amp on and wiggle it a bit from side to side, and inwards and outwards, if the static sound happens then you may need to get a new jack - try resoldering it first though. Keep fiddling with whatever electronic parts you can access to reproduce the scratching, whatever it is may need replacing.

Or you could take the easy option and just drop it off at a store, and they could probably sort it out in a day or so.

Doug

Visit my band's website!

ReplyQuote
(@curious_bob)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Or you could take the easy option and just drop it off at a store, and they could probably sort it out in a day or so.

Doug

That is probably what I will do since I have to take it in anyways to have the neck looked at.

ReplyQuote