Notifications
Clear all

strange intonation issues

22 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Wow! 9's ... the camera does add pounds. :lol: I use 9's as well. My son has a B.C Rich Platinum Warlock bass and I did have to move his bridge but only because the strings were not parallel to the neck. We modded this with chrome skulls for knobs. I have a B.C. Rich Body Art guitar (40 Lashes) that was made in China and I have no issues go figure. I don't play it alot but I have always liked B.C. Rich guitars. Best of luck figuring out your difficulty. Looks like you got a really nice rig going there. :wink:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

My low E strings typically run .052-.054, and I always have to work harder to get the octaves right. Pushing on the saddle often makes a difference. So does reversing the saddle. In any case they usually wind up racked out to what looks like an extreme distance.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
(@demoniac)
Topic starter  

Great picture.

TR's analysis of the post-pic situation is good, and I agree. The thick strings make it harder, but never impossible.

Now I see your latest post, with full pic and reference to TR's instructions. And you state the strings are 9 - 42's or light.

I was saying till now, slacken your 6th or E, and adjust the saddle all the way to the back, if you can, if the screw isn't stripped. If so, push the saddle back as you turn.

The saddle for that fat E is positioned as I thought, and I say that only because I see so many, that I have to put myself in a 'blindfold' situation based on experience, from the earlier post without a pic.

In light of your most recent attempt, now if you may have to: remove that saddle and turn it around, as in the Wikipedia pic that I posted. It should work for you if you have any threads left to grip and not slip, as you tune that grabber of a string up. 8)

I edit this in now, with your guitar being String Through Body, and the new pic with same priciples & position will apply.

so your saying to turn my bridge completly backwards? what about the slots in the saddles for the strings to fite right will this not matter?...

jaming with a
ltd ax 50(cheepy)
BC~RICH son of the beast avenge with a dimebag syemore duncan
marshall g100r cd with a moded cab.
boss gt-10

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

so your saying to turn my bridge completly backwards? what about the slots in the saddles for the strings to fite right will this not matter?...

No, just the saddle, and just on the sixth string. Loosen low E string, then back the saddle's adjustment screw all the way out. Turn the saddle around and reinstall.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

...so it should look something like this:

That's a Leo Quan Badass Bridge on a '60s Kalamazoo solid body.

ReplyQuote
(@demoniac)
Topic starter  

ive done switched the saddles around put them right and did it again ....i put the ltd bridge on the BC~Rich and now i seem to beable to get the intonation set on the low e but look at how crazy it looks to the rest of it ...evreything is set and intoation is just fine on evreything now....im not sure if its the new strings or the bridge though...but after closer examination of the saddles in the BC~Rich bridge they seem to need changing they look bad...i think ima stick witht he bridge from the ltd though i think it gives my guitar a fater look...lol....heres a few pics

this last pic shows the stock bridge and the ltd bridge wich is the one installed on the guitar in this pic....
the difrence in the thinkness of it gave me more ajusment spacing to get what i needed to get it set right....
but i still dont understand how the old bridge could have faild i know the saddles look bad and look a little worn out
if the low e string sits lower in the saddle would that change intonation....

thanks a bunch for all your idea's and help its realy appreciated very very much

and crow what is that bridge on in that pic?...it sure would be nice if BC~Rich guitars would adapt a style kinda like that, the screw sticking out on the post bolt is another way intonation can be set on a bridge system like that....two ways to ajust it on that ...thats awesome.....

realy guys thanks for all the imput maybe i can be of some help to someone ase i brows more of this forum to expand my knowledge..

jaming with a
ltd ax 50(cheepy)
BC~RICH son of the beast avenge with a dimebag syemore duncan
marshall g100r cd with a moded cab.
boss gt-10

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

...i put the ltd bridge on the BC~Rich and now i seem to beable to get the intonation set on the low e but look at how crazy it looks to the rest of it ...

Well, that's why we don't intonate strings visually, any more than we'd set EQ visually. String vibrations don't care what the saddles look like. :)
and crow what is that bridge on in that pic?...it sure would be nice if BC~Rich guitars would adapt a style kinda like that, the screw sticking out on the post bolt is another way intonation can be set on a bridge system like that....two ways to ajust it on that ...thats awesome.....

That's a Leo Quan Badass. I don't think they are made any more, but I believe Guitar Fetish sells a duplicate. It's basically an adjustable replacement for the Gibson Les Paul Jr.-style wraparound bridge. Lots of players don't seem to like them, but I have two & I think they are great.

Glad to hear you're getting that thing in tune!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2