Skip to content
Strat pickup replac...

Notifications
Clear all

Strat pickup replacement - Staggered/Unstaggered Pickups?

16 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@fenderbender714)

hi doug,
i don't know if you want to keep the humbucker, or not but if you want to use GFS pickups, i would recommend (without any firsthand experience) one of the 60's repro "premium" sets. they come with 42 gauge formvar coated wire, which has that magic strat tone for reasons no one can explain. the mids aren't reverse wound, but that shouldn't matter if you are running a humbucker with them. again, i wouldn't put these in an american fender, but for your made in mexico strat with ceramic magnet pickups, they will be a big improvement in tone. i can't recommend any of the humbuckers, because i have no experience with them. i would stay away from the gfs fender split level humbucker copies because they use ceramic magnets, which are tone robbers.
reverend guitars is selling off some of the overstock of p-90's for $75 a pair on their site. these pickups kick ass up and down the block and if anyone has an epiphone sg special, or similar guitar they should run, not walk, to the reverend site and pick these up. reverend p-90's are definitely better than GFS p-90's by a long shot and they are the same price. :D

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2