Notifications
Clear all

Strat tone change

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@ssgenuine)
Topic starter  

My mim strat just changed tone tremendously. My lows are gone, but when I switch from pickup to pickup I still can hear a change so I am guessing that all 3 pickups are still working. My tone nobs are still doing something also, as is my vol. I have tried different amps and I just don't get it. It stays in tune and sounds the same as my other stats when not hooked up to the amp. Do I need to replace all pickups and pots? Thanks

(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Try this to check your PUPS.

Plug your guitar into your amp.. turn down your volume on your amp and UP on your guitar.
Then take a screw driver or other piece of steel and touch each pole piece on your pickups.

I'd use my selector switch and turn on each PUP one at a time and touch each of the magnets for that PUP, then switch to the next PUP and repeat.

You should hear a 'thunk' sound on each pole piece. If not, then something may very well be wrong with that PUP.

Then my next steps would be:
-to check the cable plug/jack on the guitar. Maybe you have a bad solder joint or something.
-then the cable itself (both ends)
-then the amp, but you said you tried different amps.

How new or old is your guitar? If its relatively new, there should be some warranty on it, which may include a free repair from your local shop or wherever you bought it. If not you'll probably have to pay for a repair.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

how old are the strings. grungy old strings sap tone. all brightness gos away and everything sounds thud like.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@ssgenuine)
Topic starter  

I took it all apart and then back together, now it works. I tried all the pup's like you said and they all worked. The neck pup was up really high, so I lowered it to where my other ones are and now it sounds like it should, I think. Thanks for your help, I didn't know pup's were that easy to check. Thanks again, great web site.

ReplyQuote