Notifications
Clear all

string buzzing!!!

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@lusty185)
Topic starter  

ok so i just restrung my guitar (gibson explorer) and i have done it heaps of times but when i play my d string open it makes like a buzzing/pinging noise. Is there a way to fix that or do i just keep playing it and it will go away????

(@staffan)
Estimable Member

I´ve found that some strings tend to have a slight buzz/pinging noise when they´re brand new, and that ususally goes away after a couple of hours playing time. I´ve always thougth that has something to do with the string material or coating or something like that. Don´t know if that´s the reason in this case though... are your new strings made from a different material than the ones u normally use? Then maybe this is one of those things that will go away.

If not, I´m beat. :roll:

AAAFNRAA
- Electric Don Quixote -

ReplyQuote
(@staffan)
Estimable Member

... also - the air humidity affects your guitar and may cause string noise. I´ve had that happen in the winter time, when the air is really dry (where I live; way up in northern Europe) and the strings started to buzz. That might require a small adjustment of the neck, via the truss rod - but this is out of my league and would let a proffesional look at it if that was the reason for the string noise. I´m sure there are lots of guys on this site though, that could advise you how to do this.

Good luck!

AAAFNRAA
- Electric Don Quixote -

ReplyQuote
(@lusty185)
Topic starter  

i fixed the sound so its ok.. it seemed like the strings had sorta worn down the nut alittle bit so i tried paper in the little groove thing and it sounded better so i was just going to replace the nut but seeing as it was stuck in with glue i just filled it with a little bit of putty like stuff and it worked.. thanks for your help :)

ReplyQuote