Clear all

String Changing Question

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I've purchased a new Stagg SW201 3/4N, and it plays wonderfully, and the strings don't need changing quite yet, but I do have a question about that for when I do want to change them.

I read on here somewhere that if you go with a lighter gauge string, you will have to adjust the truss rod in the neck to keep the guitar in top working order. Now, I'm new to the guitar, and I really don't want to be messing around with that by myself. My question (finally) is do I really need to do that? If so, do most guitar shops offer doing something like that free of charge?

Any help is great.

Thanks!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

(@scrybe)
Famed Member

It depends, and it depends.

I've changed string gauge on guitars (usually going heavier, just my tatse) in the past where it hasn't been necessary to make any adjustments. other times, it is necessary. I wouldn't worry too much if you're going lighter, just try it and see if it works. if you're going heavier (as I do), you have to watch out for the fact that thsi is putting more tension on the neck and bridge of the guitar than the previous set of strings, so checking that for a few days afterwards is important to save on potantially costly damage. but going lighter means less tension, so the only really issues are how the strings sound and feel to play once you've restrung. Putting lighter gauge strings on can (but doesn't always) lead to some buzzing, noticable action change, etc, etc. But it wont do anything that can damage your guitar, so its only going to result in a minor personal inconvenience in the worst case scenario.

Nothing bad will happen to the neck of the guitar (which is the main area of 'concern'for string gauge changes) if you leave it without strings on (provided its kept somewhere safe). So putting the neck under some tension, but less tension than with the present strings on it (as would be the case if you restring with lighter gauge strings) wont have any negative effects. Worst case, it'll sound a bit crap when you play it and you'll be out of pocket to the cost of one pack of strings (and maybe not even that, since you can adjust the truss rod and action if necessary, so the strings mightn't be wasted). Small risk for the potential improvement in longer-term playing that finding your optimal strings can provide.

Whether guitar shops will do this for free really depends on what shops you have nearby and what their staff are like and how busy they are, etc, etc. If there's one store that's generally good, both one prices/range and on small techie-stuff, its worth becoming a regular patron adn showing some loyalty - tey'll be more inclined to help out with this sort of stuff then. Calling to find a (usually) quiet time of the day/week to get this done i always a good courtesy, too (I've worked in stores where people randomly wander in on busy saturday afternoons with no prior warning and expect me to drop everything to help them for free when we've just taken a big delivery of stock and there's a shop full of potentially-paying customers, and it aint gonna happen, sorry).

hope this helps, and isn't too confusing.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

please don;t mess with the truss rod. it seems everyone goes there right off.
no. you should not have to change anything with a gauge change. for the most part. it is rare.
going from 9's to 10's or the other way is not that drastic. IMO.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote