Notifications
Clear all

String constantly snapping in a weird way

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@metalanarchist465)
Topic starter  

Last week, my A string fell apart. It started unwinding from inside the bridge. When I tried to retune it, it continued to unwind until it was just a strand of metal.
So I got a new string, but 2 days later, it broke in the exact same way. It just did it again today.
Note that I only change strings every few months (there's no guitar stores around here), so I don't know why the other strings last longer.
I play a crappy Squire Stratocaster, 7 years old

If you need any more info, just ask

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

You've probably got a burr somewhere finnding it is the hard part, when you do file it down.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

You've probably got a burr somewhere finnding it is the hard part, when you do file it down.

Sounds plausable to me. If it's from inside the bridge it's probably in the trem block or bridge. Any burrs? Rough edges? Do you use your trem???

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@metalanarchist465)
Topic starter  

Not sure about burrs or edges, I use the trem a bit

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Probably something sharp in the string path then and when you use the trem it is rubbing back and forth across the string. The strings are gonna streatch some when in tune, but the shorter length of broken string should get you in the general area where you want to look for a burr or sharpe edge.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@metalanarchist465)
Topic starter  

Just snapped another string. There seems to be something inside the guitar that I can't get to
I might be getting a new guitar for my birthday, but I'll go check out a guitar store sometime

ReplyQuote
(@denny)
Reputable Member

Could you take the broken string and feed it in as thouth you were re-stringing and then just run it back and forth like a small rasp? It might be enough to smooth out the rough spot.

Denny

ReplyQuote
(@metalanarchist465)
Topic starter  

I'll try that now

ReplyQuote
(@metalanarchist465)
Topic starter  

It got stuck, wtf?

ReplyQuote