Notifications
Clear all

String height issues. Need help

12 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@aliceinbarbwire)
Topic starter  

i Have a Squier Strat. A couple years ago i decided to try to fix the intonation of the guitar, i dont know why i guess i was bored, I also wanted to lower the strings a bit. the End result was an unplayable guitar. its been sitting on a shelf for years and i cant fix it. Lately i decided i wanted to fix it and i dont feel like taking it into a shop. the problem is the String heights are all out of whack which makes playing it really hard. I was wondering if anyone can guide me through getting the guitar back to default. Thanks

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Google up one of the numerous how-to pages on "electric guitar setup." :D

I don't have one of those handily bookmarked here at the moment or I'd just drop one in the post. But there are many good ones.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@aliceinbarbwire)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the suggestion, I've been searching around for a "how to" kinda thing with no luck, Posting was my last resort. I was messing around with the guitar lastnight, I seemed to have all the strings at the same height, but the strings are closer to the fretboard at the lower frets and then begin to rise from the fretbaord the closer you get to the guitar body.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

That is as it should be. The strings aren't supposed to be level and flat with the fretboard. The question is of course whether they rise too fast. What is the height of the strings at the 12th fret?

ReplyQuote
(@aliceinbarbwire)
Topic starter  

As you can probably tell im no expert at guitar setup and I wish i had never messed around with my strat.. but whats done is done. The strings are defnitly going way to high up the fretbaord, I'd just like to get the strings closer to the fretboard while avpoiding all the frettbuzz problems, this I do not know how to do. Thanks again

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Did you put on heavier strings than it came with? Do you have a trem bridge? Is it tipped up? If so, your problem may be as simple as needing to adjust the tension springs in the bridge tighter or adding a spring.

My suggestion is that if you're unfamiliar with setup and it's way out of whack, you probably need to take it into a shop this time to get it straightened out. If they'll let you, watch and learn how they do it. Definitely read up on the how-to sites! If you have a Strat with a trem, you'll need to know how to tweak it.
:D

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

And if what I just said about the trem bridge and springs made no sense, Google "Strat setup." :D

ReplyQuote
(@aliceinbarbwire)
Topic starter  

Here is a pic of the same exact guitar im talking about.

http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0310602595

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yep. Exactly what I'm talking about. Exactly the first guitar in the Ricochet household, BTW, color and all.

ReplyQuote
(@aliceinbarbwire)
Topic starter  

I have never replaced the strings except for the bottom e. the bridge appears to be flat with the guitar.. I think its a matter of adjusting the saddles and then raising and lowering the height of each string to get it back to normal. You're probably right i should take it to a shop. In the meantime im gonna try searching the web again for more info.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Three things to look at:

Trem bridge adjustment

Saddle height adjustment

Truss rod adjustment

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Oh yeah, and since it's a Strat, with a bolt on neck, that the neck is properly bolted on and hasn't started coming loose, letting it tip forward.

ReplyQuote