Notifications
Clear all

String size

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@kevin-murchison)
Topic starter  

Question...when I bought my guitar the seller could not tell me the size of the strings...he did throw in an extra set however. Is there a way to measure the ones I have? I've heard that jumping in size could effect the set up.

Thanks

Kevin

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Interesting that he could not tell you what size were on the guitar but he gave you an extra set anyway. So how did he know which were the right ones to give you as spares? :?:

There are multiple ways to figure it out with a micrometer being the best but most people don't have one laying around the house.

Another way is to compare them to a known string size like maybe the spare set he gave you which should have the sizes on the package.

And an another alternative is take it to another store and let them figure it out for you and sell you some strings.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Oh and yes, changing string size can throw off the setup (mostly the neck relief) and other things like the fact that nut slot sizes are cut for the intended strings. Putting on larger strings could cause problems with the nut if there is not enough room for the string.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@kevin-murchison)
Topic starter  

Thanks nils, I believe I have a micrometer in with the motorcycle tools...never thought of that. What the dealer actualy said was that he thought they were 10's or 12's and gave me the extra set of 12's. Nice guy and all, but just the salesman.

Kevin

ReplyQuote