Clear all

Strings and Nuts

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@wishiwasthebest)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Ok, so i popped a string while i was playing....no big deal, just grab my spare....ok no spare~~ big deal. well, ive tried a lot of strings and i must say that i absolutely love B-52 Boomers by GHS. so i go to the music store (the one i usually go to went out of business :() but they didnt have the B-52's, BUT they had Zakk Wyldes strings, and since he's my idol, i figured what the hell, they have to be killer if zakk put his name on it...so i take em and get home string em up, and well.... W O W.

but my question comes this, the gauges are weird 10-60, and as such the bottom 2 strings are slightly raised as they dont fit perfectly into the nut. the nut has a lil chip in it, so im looking to get a new one n e ways.

so my question is, whats the difference betweens nut(s)~~ liek graphite or plastic etc. and how do i go about installing it, and setting it up where the strings will fit in it nicley..i mean it cant be to small, or they wont fit, but cant be to loose or it wont grab the string...... so what do i do?

btw this is a washburn x50

RIP Dimebag

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

One option would be to use a small thin file an open the sides up just enough for the string and then setup the guitar. Option two would be to take it to a shop and have them do it, because the guitar will need to be setup properly, reason being that you changed the gauge of strings and it will need to be adjusted/setup. Like Setting Intonation, Adjusting Neck Relief (truss rod), Adjusting the String Height these are all part of setting up a guitar for best playability.

Setting up a guitar is something every guitarist should have knowledge of even if they don't perform the work themselves.

Basic Guitar Setup

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@beginnerat57)

Great Site for Guitar maintenance and supplies.
http://www.stewmac.com/nuts

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

If you haven't done anything like that, it would seem best to go to a tch and have him do it for you. I always suggest that you ask to 'sit in' if possible so that you can learn how to do it yourself the next time. Many guitarists love to talk shop and love to teach for free. It has soemthing to do with ego. Take advantage of it! 8)

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member

Just a quick note of caution.Be careful when using custom gauge strings.Yes they do sound gorgous and give that lovely meaty bottom end but they can do some damage to the neck if the guitar is not set up properly or just not suitable to take them.The extra thickness of the strings can over time put a huge strain on the neck.make sure you loosen the strings after playing to prevent any damage.

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote