S Series Ibanez guitar: Tuning problems

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@gmilam)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Howdy,

I have an S Series Ibanez guitar and am having an impossible time trying to keep it in tune. As I understand it, when I change strings, I have to readjust the tremolo system, but I'm not really sure how to go about it. Anyone know of any good overviews, tutorials, etc on how to do that properly. Right now, as I adjust the tension on one string, it changes the others, etc. I just keep going around and around with it never being in tune.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you think that I thought I once was - White Goodman (Dodgeball)

(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Good things can be found at http://www.jemsite.com on all things tremolo related. Lots of other good info there too.

They link to this site, which is incredible for technical details. This is probably more useful in your case:

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Quote: when I change strings, I have to readjust the tremolo system,

This is an iffy thing. In the real world no you shouldn't have to adjust the tremolo. If you change the strings with the same gauge you took off, you really shouldn't have to adjust the tremolo. But there are exceptions! The perfect world it is not? Meaning not all strings are created equal, even if they're the same gauge or came from the same batch, they may not be the same. I know this sounds confusing and after you've been playing for awhile you'll understand better of what I'm trying to say. If your changing from a light gauge to a heavier gauge or heavy to light, " yes " you'll need to adjust the tremolo to set it up right.

When you go to change strings only remove two at a time. Change E & A strings then tune all six, Change the D & G strings and tune all six, Change the B & E strings and tune all six. Sometimes it will take numerous tuning times of all six strings to get them in tune. " If you removed all the strings at one time it will take even longer to get it back where it should be."

The site in the above post has great information and should be read many times until you know things by heart. If your still having problems you could ask a local shop tech to show you hands on. I think if you take your time an read everything you'll become a pro at setting them up and changing strings.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@gmilam)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the info Undercat and Forrok...

That site is very cool.

From Ibanez they reccomend that you change only one string at a time. I did all six at once and now I have to go and mess with the spring tension adjustment. Taking your advice Forrok, I called a local guy and he said he would help a brother out.

Thx!

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you think that I thought I once was - White Goodman (Dodgeball)

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Your welcome, Thats good to here that someone will show you hands on.
After you change them a few times it will become second nature.

I've always changed two at a time. After awhile you'll soon have your way of doing things also.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Good call. With the floyd, I've always been strictly one string at a time, the less variables you throw into the equation, the easier it will be.

Good luck man, and happy playing.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote