Clear all

Takamine EG544SC-4C

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 WJL
(@wjl)
Topic starter  

I just bought a Takamine EG series(used) and I thought I looked it over good enough while I was there, but when I got home and was playing it I looked down into the sound hole and saw that the one brace on the bottom part of the whole is cracked. Second, the neck almost feels like it's loose it's kind of hard to explain because it doesn't move but it sounds like it could be broken off fairly easily...and that's kind of scary, I'll try to get some pictures up later but until then does anyone know if that is repairable and if so would it be expensive?

thanks
-Billy

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Is it a brace on the top or on the back?

Either way, glue, clamp let dry should work fine. Show me some pictures and I can help a bit more.

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

I had one of those; I think I can picture the brace (without pics, as Nick noted) and he's right, give 'er some glue with a clamp. Carpenter's wood glue is fine.

About the neck, jeez I don't know what to say. The mortise & tenon, as it is called really doesn't come loose on those, but if the guitar dried as I think it has, it is possible.

A loose neck is not something you can fix, since the process is called a neck reset, and is done by a well-versed repair person or a proper luthier, and at great expense, I might add. :roll:

P.S. Some advice for the future, as I read Colling's guitar website extensively this week. He builds their guitars in constant 49% percent humidity, and recommends you keep it above 40%, minimum.

And, he gives lots of advice, answering many frequently asked questions too, the site is just loaded with jems of info and really good advice. Something for everything, always a tip we can use, no matter what we know.

See all or in part "support", "resources", "care and feeding" http://www.collingsguitars.com/home.html

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
 WJL
(@wjl)
Topic starter  

thanks guys(I haven't been on in a while sorry). The guitar still plays very nice and sounds great despite the brace/neck situation. But about the brace, that's something I can do with just a regular clamp and a cloth or something to keep from scratching the body?

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

thanks guys(I haven't been on in a while sorry). The guitar still plays very nice and sounds great despite the brace/neck situation. But about the brace, that's something I can do with just a regular clamp and a cloth or something to keep from scratching the body?

I visualized one of the braces under the soundboard, or the top? They are usually the ones that break/dry or come loose.

Protect the body with painter's tape and use whatever you think is best to avoid marks from the clamp. Anything from a paperback novel, to another pice of flat smooth wood, such as a 1 X 4" section, with your rag or towel inbetween as a buffer. The clamp does not have to be tight, just snug.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote