Clear all

That nastiness on the neck of my acoustic

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@peaveyusa)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Whats that nastiness. Its like wax but not. It has built up and its even on the strings. Makes it hard to slide my fingers up and down notes even.

(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Sounds like the oils in your skin is reactiong to the finish on the guitar neck.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@thegreenone)

I had a bad case of that after picking up an old guitar that I hadn't touched in years.
Removed the strings, cleaned the neck with one of those micro-fiber towels with very little water / liquid soap mix, rubbing fairly softly till all the gunk was gone.
New strings and it was like new!

ReplyQuote
(@peaveyusa)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

It's due for a re-string and cleaning anyways. It's my old austin acoustic and it souns beautiful looks beautiful besides that nastiness on it. BLEH!

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

It's due for a re-string and cleaning anyways. It's my old austin acoustic and it souns beautiful looks beautiful besides that nastiness on it. BLEH!

I always wash my hands before I play. I also use a towel, especially in the summer to wipe me hands during playing to minimize the sweat.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote