Skip to content
The most dumbest th...

Notifications
Clear all

The most dumbest thing I ever heard...is it true??

14 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@kaizer-szoza)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Someone told me that you can crack a neck by loosening the strings. Of course I find it really hard to believe, so I argued with them.

so help end a disagreement.

Can a guitar neck crack from loosening the strings??

thanks in advance

Glee
(@glee)
Estimable Member

Any thing is possible.

Tim

ReplyQuote
(@jminor)
Estimable Member

Maybe if you loosen all of the strings and then jump up and down repeatedly on your guitar neck...

Your friend is quoting a common myth....

Maybe if you loosen all your strings and leave them loose, the neck may bow back a little over the next few days (due to the stress of the truss rod that is not counter-balanced by the normal load of the strings on the neck)

But nothing a restringing and truss rod adjustment (if necessary at all) won't fix...

Peace

J

Insert random quote here

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Don't you mean "most dumberest"?

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Hey, he's not W.

(That's not a political statement. Don't misunderstimate him!)

Anyway, maybe a really old fragile acoustic with no truss rod could be damaged if you take all the strings off at once. Maybe. Especially if you jump up and down repeatedly on the neck ... :wink:

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@nirvgas)
Estimable Member

There's a lot of pressure being put on the neck from the strings, but I think if it has a truss rod, there really shouldn't be a risk. Truss rods make the guitar invincible, so feel free to jump on the neck repeatedly :wink: ...just kidding, don't do that!!!

Life is my friend
Rake it up to take it in
Wrap me in your cinnamon
Especially in Michigan
...well I could be your friend- RHCP

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Can it happen?

Yes.

But a lot of things would have to go wrong at once for it to happen, and you'd have to be in a situation where the structural integrity of the neck was already weakened due to temperature, humidity, or some other factors.

It's not anything to worry about.

Now, if you were taking a guitar in from having sat all day in a trunk outside in northern minnesota where it was -40* and you were opening the case in a 120* sauna and cutting all the strings at once . . . . I'd stand back ... :)

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Please tell your friend that he is perfectly correct. Could you also tell him, from me, that his resolve, in the face of adversity and the derision of others, is truly inspiring - and, furthermore, I have a couple of business propositions, that I'd like to put to him.................... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

straight answer...no way.

now if I had a movable bridge, like on a violin, Id be careful pulling all the strings off cause the bridge would lose its position.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

How else would you oil the fretboard and clean the finger cheese from your fretboard if you didn't remove the strings? Think about it like this It was manufactured without the strings so it should be able to handle it.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@kaizer-szoza)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

There is always one infernal smart ass on every board:))) Hi Nick:))

So, aside from my grievous grammar mistake at an emotional time, I took the time to contact a luthier.

this is what he wrote:
I know of no instance where this has happened, and I don't see how it could be possible. (I know of no instance where a guitar has cracked when the strings have tightened, for that matter; for that to happen, it seems to me there would have to be some serious stress in the guitar, or perhaps a weak glue joint, such that the string tightening pushes things over the line.)
of course in my question I had mentioned the loosening of the strings caused the crack and that I heard that the neck could crack from over tightening.

Now the circumstances surrounded a particular expensive guitar that I won at auction .The seller obviously didn't want to part with it at the low winning bid, so they concocted that ridculous story and the arguing started.

After talking to a few people, some right here, I asked for pictures of the damage so I can make a decision as to whether or not I felt it could be repaired. The story changed fast and the tracking number was given and is in route now.

Noob Lesson learned. (grammar lesson too :D )

Big thanks to all the replies.

KK

ReplyQuote
(@afterblast)
Estimable Member

it's a crazy world and anything can happen, HOWEVER UNLIKELY!
It's somewhat farfeched that this would happen to someone.
However it's not very farfeched at all for someone who was unlucky enough to be that one in a million random chance to tell everyone he knows who even thinks about guitars that this happened to him.
couple that with our overactive imaginations, and its not to hard to understand why some people are as adament about this as they are.

wherever you go, there you are.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

:D

Way to stick to your guns. Sometimes you'll hear a crack or pop from the strings catching on the nut, but that's it.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I asked for pictures of the damage so I can make a decision as to whether or not I felt it could be repaired. The story changed fast and the tracking number was given and is in route now.

Good for you! Best of luck with it. 8)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote