Clear all

Three-position coil tap switch?

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I just acquired a Jay Turser Hawk 12. This is my second guitar with a pair of humbuckers, but the first with a coil tap switch. The three postions on that second toggle have me kinda confused. I figured the settings would either be split or "not-split" on whatever pickup (or the pair) was selected by the other toggle, but apparently it's a little more complicated than that.

The axe was an eBay deal, with no manual. I've written to jayturser.com, but don't expect a reply until Monday or later.

BTW, that is one fine guitar for the price.

Thanks for any info.

--
Doug C.

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

The three position switch should be back/bridge pickup, middle/both pickups, forward/neck pickup and the two way is the coil tab which should make a sort of single coil sound.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

The three position switch should be back/bridge pickup, middle/both pickups, forward/neck pickup and the two way is the coil tab which should make a sort of single coil sound.
Okay, I'm already familiar with what a three-position pickup selector switch does and with what a coil tap should do. If the "other" (coil tap) switch had two positions, I'd assume the choices were "split or not-split," i.e., either acting like a single-coil or as "normal" humbucking. :?

But looking at my original post, I guess I didn't make it clear that both toggles are three-position. By "that second toggle" I meant the coil tap, since I already knew what the pickup selector switch was (or at least should be) doing.
That third position on the coil tap kinda increases the possibilities of what the switch might be doing, I think. :D
I've tried various combinations of the two toggles, and heard lots of different tones, but can't quite figure out just what's what. Some comments in various user reviews suggest that others have experienced the same thing with their Hawk 12s.

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

I'm not exactly sure. All I can say is play around with all the different possibilities and the tone knobs while you are doing it. Once you find the guitars sweet spots, you'll know. Whatever you ear likes. It's always fun to experiment with new stuff.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Ah sorry :oops: That's one problem with buying a guitar on E bay I.E. no manual.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

It's possible that there are two single coil options - serial and parallel. or maybe they're in-/out of phase

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Another guess is

1. single coil A
2. (center position) Humbucking (A in series with B)
3. single coil B

Is this useful? There are better wiring schemes, but this would be the simplest for a single pole, double throw, center off switch. Check this by tapping on the pup pole pieces to find out what's on in what position of the switch. If center is both coils and the other positions are one or the other coil, then as described is probably what you have. If more than one coil is on in two or more positions then you may have out-of-phase (sounds very thin and funky) or parallel wiring in addition to the usual series 'bucker configuration.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Forgot about tapping the pickups to see if they're on.

ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, and I forgot to say to tap on the pups with a coin (lightly).

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, and I forgot to say to tap on the pups with a coin (lightly).
Oops; so even that padded drum stick was a bad idea, eh? :lol:

Seriously, thanks for all the input, everyone. I had never considered the in/out-of phase or the series/parallel possibilities, in spite of having read up on that stuff not long ago while perusing GuitarNuts.com for info about the switches on my Johnson "Mini-Strat." (My first six-string solidbody, and another very enjoyable axe for the price.)

No reply from jayturser.com yet, but I'll post any answer here, if I get one.

ReplyQuote