Notifications
Clear all

Trouble removing pick guard on my strat

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@doctorwu)
Topic starter  

The little oval-shaped plastic knob covering the end of the pickup switch on my strat doesn't seem to want to come off (I'm trying to replace my pick guard). I guess I could just use some bigger pliers and pull really hard, but I'm afraid I'll break or damage it. I realize that replacement knobs are cheap, but there's bound to be some trick for getting those things off without breaking them, isn't there? I have no trouble at all getting the tone and volume knobs off.

Thanks in advance!

Yes! As a matter of fact, I am with you. ;-)

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Use needle nosed pliers and put them under the plastic knob. Close the jaws of the pliers, until they are just touching the metal post, then push upwards with the pliers.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

They aren't usually THAT tight! Are you the original owner? If not, I wonder if it was glued on by the previous owner.

ReplyQuote
(@jminor)
Estimable Member

instead of gripping the knob with the pliers, put the jaws of the pliers on either side of the metal just below the knob... and then lever it off using the spine of a book (or something similar) as a fulcrum.

click on image for full size

Also, maybe spray some WD40 (lubricant/contact cleaner) on it

Hope this helps.

J

Insert random quote here

ReplyQuote
(@doctorwu)
Topic starter  

Use needle nosed pliers and put them under the plastic knob. Close the jaws of the pliers, until they are just touching the metal post, then push upwards with the pliers.

Doh! Why did it not ever occur to me to just go under the knob and pull upwards? I guess all those years of paying someone else to do these kind of things for me turned me into sort of a hardware nit-wit. I was just concerned with my playing techniques and I always left everything else to the guitar techs. About a year ago, I decided to start learning to do at least some of the simpler stuff myself. A couple of weeks ago, I even set my own intonation (I know, big deal). I see now that it was actually a very simple thing to do, but I've been playing for 40 years and that was the first time I'd ever did it myself. Don't worry techs and luthiers out there. There's no chance that I'll ever start doing my own fret jobs. :D

Yes! As a matter of fact, I am with you. ;-)

ReplyQuote