Tuner Machine Head Replacement Using the Same Pilot Holes

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@redrainripper)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey everyone.

Looks like I out grew my Epiphone SG Special pretty quick and I'm looking to mod it some. At first I just slapped a bunch of stickers on there but that didn't do much of anything so i took 'em all off and scratched it up in the process. Let's just say that gave it some 'tude.

Anyway, I'm looking to replace the machine heads and I've been wondering about using the same pilot holes. Here's a shot of the back of the head stock with the old tuners on:

Economy covered tuners like you'd expect. I definitely want something that's going to keep things in tune a little better.

At first I was looking at Grovers because that's what I have on my Les, but I don't know if I want to go through drilling new pilot holes with this being my first project guitar and all.

Anyway, the closest thing I can find to what I have are these: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Economy_Covered_Gear_Tuners.html

Then I came across these puppies: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Gotoh_Large_Schaller-style_Knob_Tuners.html

According to the specs, the shortest distance between the center of the peg and the center of the screw hole is 11mm. I measured my Epiphone and I got the same thing 11mm.

Here's the image of the specs:

So what do you think? If I got these would I be able to use the same holes that are already there from my previous tuners? (Note: I don't care about the cosmetic issue of having the top screw hole showing, it's like that on my Gibson anyhow ;) )

Thanks in advance as always.

- Mike

(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

I kinda doubt it. By the time you align the tuning button on the side, it will probabily be different. I just looked at the Schallers on my Buckel and the tuners on an Epi that I'm fixing and it looks like the angle is different. But my Schallers are older and are layed out a little differently.

If you have to put the screws in a different place, do yourself a favor and drill pilot holes in the proper place, it will save you a lot of aggravation when you screw down the screws!

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@redrainripper)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

i figured that would be the case

but when im drilling pilot holes, how do I ensure that they're in the right place so that the machine heads will be aligned properly?

ReplyQuote