tuners and tuning

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 atn
(@atn)
Topic starter  

Hi,

i would like to understand what are the different types of tuners. I heard about chromatic tuners, but i don't know what's the purpose. what are the other types?

i also have a problem when tuning my gtr: for example, i tune the A string by playing it open. Then i fret it at the 12th fret and get something between A and G sharp. Is it possible to fix that?

thnks
E.

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Electronic tuners come in a couple of styles - instrument specific, like guitar tuners, which will tune to notes EADGBE, and chromatic tuners, which will tune to any note. The major advantage to using a chromatic tuner is that you're not limited to standard tuning... even though most guitar tuners will light up as 'D' for any octave (because of sympathetic vibrations), they're no help if you want open C tuning.

If your harmonic at the 12th fret doesn't match the open string, the intonation is off, and it can be fixed. The harmonic rings at exactly 1/2 the string length, while the fretted note sounds wherever the fret is placed - so if your harmonic is above the fretted note, that means the 12th fret is too close to the nut, and if the harmonic is below the fretted note the 12th fret is too close to the bridge.

We can't go moving frets, of course, so we have to move the bridge end of things. With tunable bridges, like those found on electric guitars, you just need to move the bridge saddle post slightly in the proper direction... it's trial and error until you get the right spot. Since you're getting G#/A on the harmonic, you'll need to move the bridge a bit towards the tailpiece.

If you have an acoustic guitar, the bridge saddle isn't moveable, but corrections can still be made - it just isn't so easy to reverse if you go too far. Saddles can be shaped, sanded, or shimmed to move them into the proper position in relation to the 12th fret. A good setup person can improve the intonation for you by minor adjustments at the bridge, and perhaps the nut.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote