Tuners loose

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I havent changed strings on my Ovation but maybe one other time since May when I got this. So, I am changing strings this morning and one thing I notice is that on the tuners, the little peg that sticks up and you wrap the string around it. They are loose. I would imagine that once the strings are wrapped around them, that it probably isnt. But my first question is, should it be that way?

Secondly, on the high E string. The little nut that holds the tuner in place isnt even tightened down. So I tried to tighten it but it gets almost to where it needs to be, and then it gets loose again like if the threads are stripped out.

I know I should change strings more often but I dont gig, I have two guitars so if a string breaks on one then I just grab the other, and I dont have the cash to change them as often as I would like.

And just to add... Just noticed that the frets arent smooth. On a few of them anyway. There seem to be little burr spots that are rough.

Sorry to dump all this out here. But now I am worried.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

(@Anonymous)

I havent changed strings on my Ovation but maybe one other time since May when I got this. So, I am changing strings this morning and one thing I notice is that on the tuners, the little peg that sticks up and you wrap the string around it. They are loose. I would imagine that once the strings are wrapped around them, that it probably isnt. But my first question is, should it be that way?
Geoo

My Fender Acoustic is the same way...I never gave it much thought since it tightened up once the strings were on...

My Agile LP's tuner pegs are tight though?

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

You will get a little flop in the tuner pegs on most guitars. They are not snug fit and will move back and forth a little. Not to worry since the string tension does pull them tight against the side.

The striped nut is another question. Take the nut off and see if it is the nut or the shaft. If it is the nut you can get one at most shops. If it is the tuner threaded shaft itself then it will eventually need to be replaced. The key to deciding is when and if it vibrates and or causes a buzz or rattle. You can try trading the nut with another one which may help. Don't over tighten them they really just need to be a little more than hand tight.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Nils and Mike

I started tinkering but I think since it is under warrenty, I am just going to take it in to the shop. I have been meaning to have it either Plek'd or atleast setup any way. Its never had a setup done on it and the actions a little high.

What about the scratched frets? Should I even mention it to them or is it normal after a while to have frets that are a little rough. I woudnt think so as it interferes with my bends.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Sorry. Meant to comment on that. It is not abnormal to get a little fret wear if you play it alot. If it is not causing a problem with bends or buzzing or anything no big deal. BUT since it is still under warranty might as well have them look at it. Would not be a bad thing to get a fret job out of them or atleast clean it up a little.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@phangeaux)
Estimable Member

WOW, there's nothing as good as tight fitting tuners where the post or peg doesn't move laterally at all but are tight within the ferrules or bushings.

I discovered that when I replaced the tuners on an older Japanese made Ariel acoustic guitar that I got for free, for helping someone move. It needed repairs, broken tuners, no nut, etc.

I used just standard tuners that cost about $7.00 but I used stainless steel ferrules made for an electric guitar (probably Fender) that had a tight fit arond the post or peg, rather than what originally were probably plastic ferrules- they were missing when I got the guitar.

I had to slightly ream the holes (I used a drill bit) for the stainless ferrules to be press fit, and I used part of an old tuner for a guide when pressing the ferrules into the headstock.

This is a bit tricky so unless you have a reasonably good sense for precision, and/or the proper tools it may be best to let someone with experience do this. If you don't get a ferrule pressed in straight and all of them in line (there isn't much room for error in tolerances here) you may have a problem that will consume more time to remedy and possibly diminish the over-all quality of the upgrade/repair.

If it is a cheap guitar that you want to fix up and improve then, that is not as much of a concern I suppose, but try to get the ferrules in STRAIGHT and aligned so the tuners will fit snugly.

The result I got is TIGHT FITTING tuning pegs that provide some resistance when turning the tuning key and thus they are snug and stay right where they are set. I got lucky I guess and I am very pleased with the result! But, I was in machinist school (and alot of other tech schools) and a layout draftsman so I have a very good sense for tolerances. I can see that having the PROPER luthier tools would be a big advantage, and I didn't have those at hand, but I have some pretty good skills.

I also replaced the nut and shimmed it up to raise the action a little bit for playing slide, and I replaced all of the bridge pins, put MARTIN strings on it and when I was finished I was very surprised. IT SOUNDS BEAUTIFUL! In fact it sounds so good I was a little bit disappointed in my expensive guitars, for quite awhile! Nothing I have will match my Continental Tricone (style 2 Rose engraved) . That is one very finely made instrument!

Anyhow, NOW I have a nice sounding inexpensive acoustic (the Ariel) with it's case that I can pack around anywhere and not even worry if it gets damaged or stolen. The total cost of repairing it was about $25.00 (USD)

My next step is to file the slots in the nut as the action is just a little bit too high at the nut for fretting.

You know, I think that a cheap guitar can become quite a good one with a little bit of attention and proper set up.

If it has a good body and straight neck that is definately a plus, but even if the neck is warped it can be set up for playing slide. If the body and bridge provide a good tone then it is worth experimenting with as a slide guitar, or maybe even straigtening the neck.

Phangeaux
BadBadBlues

ReplyQuote