Clear all

wierd 1st and 2nd string sounds

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@fret-flinstone)
Topic starter  

hey
a little new to the guitar world so forgive me if this is a no-brainer...
Only after playing a while, my 1st and 2nd string, every time i would pluck the string consecutively, i would hear the hollowness of the wood at the beginging of each pluck...something tells me its become out of tune or loose but i'm not sure..help anyone??
-thanx

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Hard to know what you mean by "hearing the hollowness of the wood."

You get a really curious "hollow" tone when you pluck near the center of the vibrating length of the string, as when you pluck at the 12th fret on an open string or over the neck pickup (about where the 24th fret would be) when you're fretted at the 12th fret. That's because you're exciting only the odd harmonics of the string. Try plucking at different points and see how the sound changes.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I'll say Hi and Welcome.

I don't really understand what you mean by " hearing the hollowness of the wood"

Are you playing and acoustic or an Electric? Are your fingers fretting the string in the right position right behind the fret or are you more in the middle between the frets. are you maybe pressing down to hard on the string or maybe not hard enough. What about damping or muting the string in anyway.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@fret-flinstone)
Topic starter  

hey
my bad, what i mean by "hollowness of the wood" is that when the 1st or 2nd string is plucked, at the begining of the sound i hear the hollowness of the guitar body...like an echo....its kind of hard to explain..... :shock:
i've been told its because my stings are too loose...could this be an issue?

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

No, what the looseness or tightness of your strings determines is the pitch they're tuned to. If they're any looser or tighter, they won't play the same note.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Welcome fret flinstone.I like your avatar :twisted:

ReplyQuote
(@fret-flinstone)
Topic starter  

thanks for the welcoming john...or should i thank rahul :?:

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN fret flintstone. Enjoy your stay and make it as long as you wish.

It is not a problem with Rahul. John will pass on any important messages on to Rahul. LoL

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote