Tuning/Bridge Issue

11 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@ibnzmusician)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey all,

I was smart enough to remove all the strings on my guitar which has a movable bridge, so now I can't tune my guitar. What can I do? Do I have to take it to a music store to have it fixed?

Thanks,
ibnzmusician

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Ive taken a screwdriver(padded so as not to ruin the finish) and pried it up to level(with the strings somewhat loose) Then slid a credit card under the bridge and retune your strings. In the future just slide the card under your bridge when changing strings.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Well, not sure how good that advice is now that your tuning is all messed up. I have a imilar problem with my AF75 Hollowbody, Ibnzmusician. I have not changed the strings since I got my guitar, cause I just got it. I have been trying to figure out exactly how to get it in tune and intonated with that floating bridge. There has been some other advice on other threads recently about this. Once you get it in tune and intonated, I obviously suggest one string at a time and also maybe marking the location of the bridge somehow. Maybe, a dry erase marker or a little bit of tape on both sides, of course only when changing strings. I guess, maybe using a ruler or measuring tape to get the distance from the bridge to the back side of the bridge pickup.

I just about have mine where it needs to be, but it has not been fun.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Quick update, felt like picking her up again at the moment and just knocked her back into a great singing voice. So, Ibnzmusician, "get 'er done"! "You can do it!"

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@ibnzmusician)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I'm a little confused by your advice... how can I move the bridge back into its original position?

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

What don't you understand?

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@ibnzmusician)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Well, basically, how can I pry it up to level? The bridge moves upward when I'm trying to tune, not down. Where would you be sticking the credit card?

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

okay loosen your strings take the back off and tighten the screws(they go into the guitar body) attached to the springs, that should pull the bridge down. tighten them a little at a time say a 1/4 turn and tune up if it doesn't flatten out detune and tighten then another notch. Make sure you tighten both screws the same amount. I forgot to ask but did you put the same gauge strings back on?

ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Oh, are we speaking about an electric with a tremelo? My bad, I jumped to the conclusion that there was a hollowbody involved with a floating bridge. There was nothing specifically said about a tremolo type bridge. If that is the case, then something like a credit card should be placed under the back side of the bridge so you can get the spring tension correct. I'm not sure how much thickness needs to be placed under the bridge to get the spring tension correct because, I don't play guitars with tremelo systems. What exactly is the guitar in question?

ReplyQuote
(@ibnzmusician)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Yes, I have an electric with a tremolo - Ibanez RG 120.

art&lutherie, I tried doing that, but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. As I tighten the strings, the bridge moves up again and I end up continuously tightening... then I loosen all the strings and do another quarter-rotation in the screw and repeat, but to the same results. Am I doing something wrong?

ReplyQuote
(@ibnzmusician)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Nevermind - I got it. Thanks, guys!

ReplyQuote