Clear all

umm ya :(

15 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@noobie)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Even though the hum problem fixed itself I think I have run into a high action problem.

The nut isn't deep enough and when I asked for pricing, the local tech was wanting 25 bucks for it so I figured I would just start tweeking the bridge. I noticed the action was a lil high when I bought it, but what I didn't notice is the bridge screws (one on each side) have been cut in the middle for some reason. If this were a bolt ( ), these look like (||) with the split ends buried inside the grooves of the actual bridge. So they won't turn, at least this is my conclusion as to why I can't adjust it. Maybe height is only adjustable on the inside of the body? I don't know, I've never messed with anything besides fender strat types.

So I guess first question is what replacement bridges should I consider if the bridge is indeed shot? Will any tune-o-matic work, or would you recommend a certain kind (I'm on about a 50-75 dollar budget to get this thing in playing order). I don't care about keeping it all original, I just want an old/unique player.

Second question is, how the heck am I going to get this bridge off w/o screwing up the body if I can't get the screws out from above the body?

Thanks again

plz im a noob

(@primeta)
Prominent Member

http://home.nycap.rr.com/nils/BasicGuitarSetup.htm
You should have a couple of thumb wheels with which to do the adjustment.

PS
Nils, is there anyway to get the mouseover to work in Firefox?

edited to add (after Mike's post)
A pic would help as the reviews on Harmony Central mention some differences in the bridge compared to an Epi, buy don't give an exact description. One reviewer did mention that they were screws and not just studds.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Is there anyway you could post a picture?

Is sounds like it can be adjusted with a flat head screw driver.

What kind of guitar? Epi or LP type?

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Yup, those slots in the top should be for a flat head screw driver. You may need to loosen the strings a little to get it to move. I would only resort to the slot if it does not have a thumb wheel under the bridge.

PS
Nils, is there anyway to get the mouseover to work in Firefox?.
I just tried it in FireFox 1.0.5 and it does work in both regular and safe mode. I will look around and see what makes it not work in FireFox. It could be considered a pop up because in reality it is another window so check your popup blocker also.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

. It could be considered a pop up because in reality it is another window so check your popup blocker also.

I have a couple of pop-up blockers active and have no trouble with the mouseover in FireFox 1.0.7

Hadn't seen your setup page in a while - really great work Nils!

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Hadn't seen your setup page in a while - really great work Nils!

Thanks. Based on feedback and input I completely rewrote it a couple of months ago. The stringing page also.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Nils, is there anyway to get the mouseover to work in Firefox?

Go into tools/options/Web features and check out your Java and Javascript settings. The popups are Javascripts which requires Javascript to be enabled.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

I have Firefox 1.5, java is enabled and your site is allowed popups :?

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I have Firefox 1.5, java is enabled and your site is allowed popups :?
Bith Java and Javascript? and did you check the settings under Javascript to see if anything was other than default?

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

I have no java at all on this machine and firefox works just fine.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I have no java at all on this machine and firefox works just fine.
I think it just needs Javascript and the Java run time environment is not needed.

There are ways in the settings for JavaScript to disable certain functions.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@noobie)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Ok sorry it took so long, but I don't have a camera so it took a couple days to meet up with someone.

Here are some pictures my buddy took,

1) just an overshot of the guitar incase you need it:

2) Two shots of the bolts with the large splits all the way through which I thought could be preventing me from just moving it up and down with a screwdriver

3) Best shot my buddy got from underneath bridge. I have a little red indicator that points to the only thing that could be a rotary device. It looks like an oranged shape soccer cone that I use in practice (I'll post one of these too):

Link to disc cones:

Should I just power tool the top of the bolts or am I missing something. I can't seem to find a feasible way to use the disc cone washer looking thing. It looks like it might move, but when I try to rotate it with pliers or wire cutters, I get nothing. The strings are waaaayy loose, so they aren't holding the bridge in position.

Thanks again. Also if i'm using too much bandwidth due to pictures just edit out the ones that aren't needed.

plz im a noob

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Man that thing is jacked. Just replace it. Even 3 of the blocks are going the wrong way.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/306148/

ReplyQuote
(@timezone)
Estimable Member

Nah, mine has 3 one way and 3 the other too. See here: http://store.guitarfetish.com/labutustgobr.html

However, the adjusters / stud bolts do look kinda messed up. Or at least different from mine. I'd take the whole thing apart, look at what the studs look like and see if it seems like you can get the bridge to go up or down without strings on it. If it seems like the stuff really isn't right, then try to find something that looks similar to replace it. (I actually think your bridge is probably ok, just the studs look weird to me.) Can get replacement studs / bridges here: http://store.guitarfetish.com/gistbr.html

I have no interest in that store, but I've bought stuff from them before, and they have decent prices, and good service. (Lots of people around like their pickups too.) HTH

TZ[/url]

ReplyQuote
(@noobie)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I took the bridge off (I had to use a 12V power drill, but I finally got it off). So thanks for the responses and recommendations on bridges. I'm going to first look at the local shop to see if they just have replaceable bolts, and if not just try and find a good bridge deal. I'd have a hard time justifying spending $65-70 on a really nice bridge though, when I got the guitar and a nice fitting plush lined case for $100. Maybe after playing it for an extended time I would upgrade, but not right off the bat. If I had extra money just lying around I'd go for it, but I don't. :(

plz im a noob

ReplyQuote