Clear all

Violin and guitar question

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I have a Classical guitar that I've been considering putting a mic (or pickup) into to make it playable to an amp, my question is how much would this cost and is there anything I should think about before doing this: would it be better to just leave it and mic it when i play gigs? I really love it so I'm a little concerned to let some person drill holes into it :lol:

Also, I've been playing violin and I would love to have an electric violin as well, I'm just curious if it is possible to convert an acoustic violin into an electric.

Just so there's no confusion, I am in no way a guitar expert when it comes to repair or anything like that, so I would definitely take it into someone to have either my violin or guitar upgraded or changed.

Steve-0

(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

There are many piezo bridges available for violins. I'd be more confident about having one of those installed, since you can be pretty sure the guy working on your violin is some crusty old expert, while there are many more less skilled guitar repairers. Just make sure you take the guitar to someone with a good reputation.

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

There are many piezo bridges available for violins. I'd be more confident about having one of those installed, since you can be pretty sure the guy working on your violin is some crusty old expert

That's exactly what I was thinking, maybe my current violin teacher can recommend someone. I'll definitely do some more research on repairers in my area before i let anyone work on my classical guitar, but thanks alot.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

For your guitat you can get something like the Seymor Duncan Grand pickup...it is a soundhole pickup that you can leave in or take out as needed. Only takes seconds to install/uninstall...

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

K&K makes a bunch of different piezo stickons for various instruments.

http://www.kksound.com/

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

a guy I jam with has two violins. both are amplified. one is an actual electric with built in pup.
the other is a normal violin. not sure what he is using inside (I an ask. I will see him in to weeks).
I do know he runs them into a preamp before amplifying. I imagine to control feedback etc.
I know his pup is very microphonic (which could be a good thing inside that tiny violin body). sometimes he sings into the violin and you can hear him on the amp or PA.

it's all possible what you are thinking.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Don't forget the famously cheap HotDot - a piezo pickup that you stick near the bridge with silly-putty (no marring). Works on anything, guitars, mandolins, violins, etc. Not the world's best, but for $25 it's a great place to start.

Laz

ReplyQuote