Notifications
Clear all

Fret Buzzing

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@rdwsr64)
Topic starter  

Nick,I have a Johnson acouctic guitar,which probably boarders on being a toy.I don't know. I keep it around for strumming mostly.Anyway I have a buzzing at the ninth fret mostly on the low E. Any ideas? It does have a truss rod.

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

You have probably not received an answer to this because you specifically addressed it to Nick and no one likes to step on toes. I don't want it to go unanswered so I will take a shot.

Buzzing at the 9th is typically either neck relief or action but since it is an acoustic I will assume neck relief. I am also going to assume that you have not changed the gage of the strings recently.

Anyway, the best way to find out is to measure it by putting a capo on the first fret and fretting the strings one at a time on the 14th fret. Check both the low and high E strings. There should be a gap of about 5 to 15 thousandths between the string and the top of the 6th or 7th fret. If there is none then you can increase it by turning the truss rod adjustment counter clockwise (left). Only turn it a little at a time. Around 1/8 of a turn is plenty. Then check it again. Don't make more than 2 or 3 1/8 turn adjustments without letting in sit a little and don't force it.

A more detailed description on doing this is on my "Basic Setup" page of my web site linked below

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote