Notifications
Clear all

Weird Grounding problems...:S

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@peesho)
Topic starter  

I recently changed my pickups, that too with ALOT of difficulty! Now i have this weird grounding problem...okay before with the old pickups there was a constant feedback which used to reduce as soon as i touched the strings. Now that feedback is more prominent. Another thing when i touch the screws on which the pickup is mounted there is a massive squeal shreak sound, i have no idea what it is. It happens on both the screws when the toggle switch is in the middle position, and only on one of the pickups when the toggle switch is either on the neck or bridge position. Its really very annoying and ive gone through alot to try and fix my guitar. Id like to explain my wiring so itll be easier for you to help me.

1) Both pickup cavity grounds are soldering on a small steel plate and screw in the control cavity. The wire from this small steel plate is soldered to the ground connection of the Pot.

2) Ground connections (black wires) from the pickups are also soldered onto the ground connection of the pot. Ground ground from birdge is also soldered there. Ground wire from the same connection is soldered to the inner jacket of the output jack.

I have to say that i didnt do a very good soldering job, all these wires soldered to the same connection are just one big jumble. Plus i changed the original wiring abit. Originally the grounds from the pickups were also attached to the steel plate of the cavity sheilding and then a wire led from there to the pot. I thought maybe if i connected them directly to the pot itd make for better grounding. Thankyou for all your help!

(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Are you sure that you've got the pickup wiring correct. Here is a handy pickup wire colour code chart - http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/schematics/schematics.php?schematic=color_codes

Other thing to think about is a possible ground loop. You've got a loop between the ground plate/screw and the pot. There are two connections (at least) between them - the wire and through the shielding. I have all my signal grounds come to a common point and a single connection from the shielding grounds connects to that signal ground. Finally a single connection goes from that common point to the jack ground. As an optional extra, I also have a cap and resistor in parallel from the shield ground point to the connection with the signal ground point.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote