Clear all

So the worst happened tonight

12 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I fell down the stairs like an idiot carrying my newish fender deluxe strat in one hand and my amp in the other. Broke my foot in the process, but what I'm really worried about is the guitar. Two pretty large (maybe dime sized) chunks came off the guitar body. Now it appears to only be finish, the wood underneath seems ok. I didn't get much chance to take pics or play the guitar a lot since I had to go to the hospital for my foot, but it seemed to play OK after a retune... It fell on hardwood.... hard... Is this an expensive repair? How worried should I be?

I'll post pictures tomorrow if I get a chance.

(@97reb)
Noble Member

I hope your foot is okay. As far as the guitar goes, As long as the tuners are still stable and there are no cracks you are pretty good. You have just added a story line for the history of your guitar. Nothing remains perfect and no matter how hard we try, guitars unfortunately get dinged and banged. I'm sure something can be done to repair your guitar's new character marks. I've never priced those type of repairs though, cause it just doesn't matter as much to me as to others. Good luck, Bro!

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@mmoncur)
Estimable Member

Broke my foot in the process, but what I'm really worried about is the guitar.

Look on the bright side: you've confirmed beyond a shadow of a doubt that you're a guitarist. :)

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Broke my foot in the process, but what I'm really worried about is the guitar.

Look on the bright side: you've confirmed beyond a shadow of a doubt that you're a guitarist. :)

right on! wow. what an unfortunate slip. ouch. the way you describe he missing chunks it sounds like the guitar has apolyester finish.
I had a tele Custom, the one with the humbucker. at an outdoor gig I set the guitar down; leaning against the amp. it set it on the concrete floor. it must have been an unconscious thing, because I set it down a bit hard. a big chunk came off. just the finish. when i went to trade it on for another guitar a year later, the shop guy said this loss was typical of a polyester finish.
it is kinda think.
is it possible there is a polyester finish on a Fender Deluxe??

hope both the foot and guitar heal.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Imagine Henrix in the "after place" with his strat: "Yeah, and that brownish-black spot's where I set it on fire..."

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

hope your guitar is alright, oh and your foot too :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

On the assumption that the damage is only superficial:

A: You can leave them and call them "war wounds". They add character and are a conversation piece - "That's when me, my amp and the guitar did a bob run down the stairs".

B: You can go to a luthier and have it fixed. The cost will depend on the type of finish you have - polyurethane is cheaper than nitro-cellulose. It will also depend on the colour - sunburst is likely to be far more than a solid colour (depending upon exactly where the damage is), with sparkle/metallic colours somewhere in between.
If the repair is a spot repair, it is possible that you will always be able to see where it is. Most people would never notice, but you will.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@billyboy)
Estimable Member

Maybe your next doctor appointment, bring your Strat and have the doc do an X-ray? :) Remember to ask about your foot. Congrats on having your priorities in order.

"In my dreams your blowin' me... some kisses" - Lets Duet - Dewford Randolph Cox

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

And broken feet do heal, more or less. :D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I'm sorry to hear, but if it still works the marks are a badge of honor. 8)

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Hey Jeffster, sorry to read of your fall and damage to foot, guitar and pride. Glad nothing worse happened.

I kind of have the mind-set that if it's only superficial, the heck with it. As long as it plays right is important to me. Of course, that's just me. Others like to have their things in pristine shape. Whichever way you go, best of luck and I hope the foot heals soon.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I don't really mind the look of superficial damage, but it looks as though more of the finish will chip off if I leave it the way it is. I'll try to post pics later today so you can see.

ReplyQuote