Notifications
Clear all

Weird Intonation

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@sigilwig44)
Topic starter  

Ok, so just to let you know, this is different then most threads, since I built this guitar myself. It is an electric guitar.

So here's my problem. I recently finished this guitar and quick strung it up just to test it out (I was still in the testing stages,) and when I would fret the note on the 12th fret, it would play about 1/4 step higher then an octave above the note when played without being fretted. Also, I need to adjust my action, could this be a problem? The strings are about 1/4 inch above the fretboard... How do I adjust the action.....?

Please bear with me here I don't know a whole lot about guitars, just enough to build one ;)

And yes, I did place the bridge in the correct spot, the distance from the front of the nut to the center of the 12th fret is the same as the distance of the center of the 12th fret to the bridge.

Thanks for any help you can give, it is all appreciated.

(@diceman)
Reputable Member

I hope you are saying that the distance you are measuring is to the middle of the twelfth fret WIRE and not the space halfway between the eleventh and twelfth fret wires . The midpoint should be the twelfth fret WIRE . If you did this correctly , then 1/4" is a little high for the action on a quality guitar and would cause it to be a little sharp . In this case you would need to lower the bridge , if adjustable , or adjust the truss rod . The former is easy , the latter is a job for some one with experience .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

:oops: unintentional double post

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@supremesound)
Eminent Member

Definitely lower the action. And the previous post was correct about being in the middle of the fret wire. Remember, when you play the string at the 12th fret, you are actually bending the string. In your case because of the high action, more bend than normal. That would make sense that the note is sharp, because you are bending it so much. If you are in on of the area where we hold our COMPLETE Guitar Repair & Set-Up Clinic, you should definitely check it out. It's worth the money and will answer a ton of questions you might have for your next guitar build.

http://supremesoundstudio.com/clinics-workshops/complete-guitar-repairset-up-clinic/

Good luck!
Brian

ReplyQuote