Clear all

Why won't my strat make any sound?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@mjmark223)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I have shielded, taped, and star grounded but every time I put the pickguard on there is silence. I have heard that my soldering could be wrong or that something is grounding out on the shielding. I just can't seem to find it. I'm poking around with the guitar plugged in and everything seems to be ok. Is there a common area that is prone to touching the shielding and I'm just not catching it? Can a multimeter help?

Thanks in advance for any help

Mark :?:

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Yah, I hate that; you get the thing working fine, you tap the pole pieces of the pups and you get a sound, and the moment you screw the pickguard back down, some wire bends or folds or moves and touches something and...nothing. You have to kind of lower the pickguard slowly, like you're closing the refrigerator door and peeking in to see when the light goes off; look for anything that's moving, then lift it up again and try to imagine, to predict, what exactly is moving and what is coming in contact with what. Sometimes it's just a single strand of hookup wire that's sticking out and coming in contact with some other piece of metal or wire or the shield.

Then get some electrical tape and tape up any bare wires or places that might make electrical contact.

Hope this helps.

ReplyQuote