Skip to content
will a heavier gaug...

Notifications
Clear all

will a heavier gauge of strings damage my acoustic?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@improvgtrplyr)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

will a heavier gauge of strings damage my acoustic? also how dramatic will the change to the action be?

the guitar in question is a 1974 yamaki deluxe. good shape, good sound, and it stays in tune. paid $200

the string gauge is quite light. not sure of exact gauge, just bought it last week, but they're not much bigger then the .12's i use on my electric

this guitar has amazing action and no buzz, i'm not sure how much of that is due to the light strings. i'll give up some action for bigger sound but i don't want to give up too much.

thanx

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

If you went from, say, 9's to 12's you might have to adjust the action....

If you're just going up from say, 10's to 11's. probably not....though you may have to make a tint adjustment to the truss rod so it feels the same...

I just changed strings on a guitar I've had for 8 years, it's always had 9's on before....I put 11's on and tuned it to open G - haven't had to change the action at all.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@improvgtrplyr)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

If you went from, say, 9's to 12's you might have to adjust the action....

If you're just going up from say, 10's to 11's. probably not....though you may have to make a tint adjustment to the truss rod so it feels the same...

I just changed strings on a guitar I've had for 8 years, it's always had 9's on before....I put 11's on and tuned it to open G - haven't had to change the action at all.....

:D :D :D

Vic
thanks for the advice Vic

i've been reading past post here and the stories about the intonation going out badly or string buzz from larger guages. did you have that prob?

when i went to 12's on my electric the intonation went bad on the B and high E. but it was an easy fix. i'm not sure if the intonation go's on the accoustic if it can be fixed (bridge is glued) or if i go back to the light gauge would the intonation still be out or will it be back to normal.

ReplyQuote