Clear all

Wiring a Bypass Switch

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I've got spare switches sitting around, and since I'm working on the Pink Johnson I thought I might try to install a bypass switch. On one setting, this would bypass the volume and tone circuit and send the pickup signal directly to the output jack. In the other setting the vol/tone circuit would be engaged.

Just wondering if this diagram is correct (click below to see it slightly larger) and whether or not the switch needs to be grounded (it will be touching the shielding foil under the pickguard, so I'd think that would take care of it but better to ask ...)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

That should work. (ignoring the tone stuff, like it says in the drawing)

And as long as you have a good clean solid contact to the shielding, that should take care of the grounding, like you thought.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Kent.

It just seemed too simple ... maybe I'm finally at the point where I can look at a switch and "see" how it works. Well, a simple on-on switch anyway. ;)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Wiring stuff doesn't have to be as hard as a lot of people seem to think.

It's pretty much plumbing, really.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I would solder the un-soldered volume lug on the diagram to ground, since it's shielded I don't think soldering grounds to the back of the volume pot is necessary.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote