Clear all

Wiring Troubles

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Reactions
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I need some help rewiring my old Hagstrom project. I tried it before, but it didn't work. I'm going to pick up some new pots before I try again though.

It's a humbucker in the bridge, and a Humbucker sized P-90 in the neck. Two volume, and Two Tone Controls.

I've read alot on electronics, but I'm still a bit confused. I can't understand why it didn't work the first time.

Is it nessacary to ground everything to one central location, or can I use the back on two pots?

Has anyone done a similar setup that can helpt me out a bit?

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Is it nessacary to ground everything to one central location, or can I use the back on two pots?
Earthing to the back of two pots isn't good, but it shouldn't stop the signal. Grounding everything to a single point will be better noise-wise, but that's not your problem if you have no output at all.

I assume you double and triple-checked your wiring? Maybe you could post your wiring diagram?

...and as a side note - have you checked the pots with a meter? You might not have to replace them.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

You may have FRIED your pots when soldering them. I had to get all new parts when I did my Squier. after putting in the 5 way everthing worked great. and now I have a volume and Two tone pots for extra parts. total investment 12 dollars us not bad. It was however very frustrating trying to find out what was wrong. I now say when in doubt start over.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@prndl)
Reputable Member

I can't understand why it didn't work the first time.
Welcome to the wonderful world of electrical engineering!!!

I found out the hard way that there are two different color schemes for humbucker pickups - Dimarzio and Seymour Duncan.

This site really helped me sort out a Samick Les Paul with replacement hubuckers and push-pull pots
that had been wired incorrectly (by another electrical engineer).
http://www.1728.com/guitar.htm

This site shows how to solder the ground correctly
http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/shield3.php

If you have a digital camera, consider posting a photo of your wiring.

1 watt of pure tube tone - the Living Room Amp!
http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/LivingRoomAmp.html
Paper-in-oil caps rule!

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks. I'm going to try new pots, they're out of a '76 Hagstrom. I can't believe it never occured to me until recently to change them.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

You've really got to be careful soldering to pot bodies. Most pots nowadays have a plastic-based resistance element that'll melt. It works best to use a high-powered soldering gun if you must solder to the pot body, because it'll quickly fuse the solder to a spot on the body before the heat can spread through the pot and overheat the element as hapens if you use a marginally low-powered iron. Stay away from the periphery of the pot body, that's where the element is.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

You've really got to be careful soldering to pot bodies. Most pots nowadays have a plastic-based resistance element that'll melt. It works best to use a high-powered soldering gun if you must solder to the pot body, because it'll quickly fuse the solder to a spot on the body before the heat can spread through the pot and overheat the element as hapens if you use a marginally low-powered iron. Stay away from the periphery of the pot body, that's where the element is.

Then if that's the case, how am I supposed to solder all my grounds there?

I have another question. With regards to the output jack. It's a strat style, there are two lugs, ones sort of square and the other is round. How do you tell which one is which? Like the sleeve and the tip?

ReplyQuote