Acoustic Soundhole Pickups

16 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

OK, so my band is trying to work into our show an acoustic portion. I love my Epiphone PR-100 dreadnought acoustic guitar, but it has no electronics. I don't really want to modify it, but would like to be able to plug it into the PA. Is a soundhole pickup the way to go? If so, does anyone have any suggestions on which one?

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Depends.

The Fishman Rare Earth series are excellent, but not cheap. They have the best acoustic reproduction I've heard. The output really needs a decent preamp. Humbucker is quieter than the single coil, but the single coil is more accurate to my ears.

The Baggs M-1 is a good pickup to consider. It's supposed to transfer more of the top vibration. I'm sure it does and it sound great.

I also use an old Barcus Berry that I got from ebay for $20. Not everyone's cuppa tea, but it is funky sounding.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Ditto on the Fishman Rare pup -- I have the "less accurate" active humbucking version. There's a setting on the humbucking version to brighten the top end for more definition. Nice for fingerstyle.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@mark-taylor)
Estimable Member

I found a Samick single coil pickup on a discount shelf for 30 dollars. It has a volume and tone built in but a short cord. Sounds excellent to my ear through a Crate Mxr-65. 12 inch. I think ebay sells a generic brand of the same pick up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GUITAR-TECH-D8-Acoustic-Soundhole-Pickup-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ110005339412QQihZ001QQcategoryZ22670QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

looks like this.

You can ride a Yamaha, or play a Yamaha, it is up to you.

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

How are the seymour duncan woody pickups? The only reason I bring them up is that I like the way they look, and they seem to sell well.
Oh, and as far as budget, i'm looking at spending probably up to $60. I'd also rather not fool around with a preamp.

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

I second Nick's suggestion of an LR Baggs M1 , this passive soundhole pickup does sound great and I love mine. Installation is easy and you can either switch out the strap button for the Strap Jack or it comes with a cord that requires no installation but does hang from the front of the guitar. I installed the Strap Jack as it looks 100% better but does require drilling out the original screw hole where the strap button was. This pickup is not cheap though and you say your budget is $60., The Baggs is around $140. US online. Be careful when you buy as sometimes you really only get what you pay for. My friend has a cheaper Fishman pickup..not a Rare Earth, It was about $80. Cdn funds. The sound reproduction is not good IMHO.
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I should qualify my "less accurate"

A. It's a personal thing
B. It's a slight difference that 99.9% of the listening population won't hear anyway.

It might make a difference to you in recording, but that's it.

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

How are the seymour duncan woody pickups? The only reason I bring them up is that I like the way they look, and they seem to sell well.
Oh, and as far as budget, i'm looking at spending probably up to $60. I'd also rather not fool around with a preamp.

I have one for my Art & Lutherie. It sounds alright, not as good as miking it, but I would use it for gig without a doubt. Nice sound.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I should qualify my "less accurate"

A. It's a personal thing
B. It's a slight difference that 99.9% of the listening population won't hear anyway.

It might make a difference to you in recording, but that's it.

Didn't bother me -- just playing along. My Rare Earth is in a guitar that's worth less than it. Makes the guitar sound twice as expensive as it should -- like a $200 guitar!

Be seeing you in MN?

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I'm working on it. I just got back from MA so I have to wait for the moment to bring it up with the wife.

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

I have a Sunrise pick up.

It's the only one, as far as I'm concerned.

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

B-band there is no other :!:

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I have one for my Art & Lutherie. It sounds alright, not as good as miking it, but I would use it for gig without a doubt. Nice sound.

I'm only really looking for something to use in live applications...for recording, I just mic the guitar anyway. I want something for live use that: 1. won't feed back 2. will give me more freedom onstage than a mic

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

i have a duncan promag. single coil, noisy and the cord is iffy, but the sound is very good. superior to a piezo to my ears

how bout an electric guitar played REALLY clean?

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

i have a duncan promag. single coil, noisy and the cord is iffy, but the sound is very good. superior to a piezo to my ears

how bout an electric guitar played REALLY clean?

You mean like maybe plugging it directly into the PA? Has anyone tried this??? Does it sound acoustic?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2