Clear all

Yamaha FG730S [Rear Split]

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@ghost-shadow)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Is it normal to see a dividing line as if two separate pieces of wood were joined, between the bridge and the rear of an acoustic? If the top is suppose to be solid, shouldn't the top be one solid piece?

I just got mine Yamaha FG730S Cherry Sunburst. The top is suppose to be solid spruce. Yet I see plainly as if two pieces of wood were glued from the bridge to the back. Running my finger over it, it feels a bit elevated along this line that runs along the center from the bridge to the rear; does not feel smooth

Is this normal, or should I send it back for an exchange. It was a special order through Guitar Center.

(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

If it's running the length of the guitar right smack in the middle, it's normal.
It's called "bookmatching". They take a slab of spruce or whatever your top wood is that's a little thicker than the finished top and split it so you can open it up like a book. This is more stable than a single piece the width of the guitar. Take a look at the top, the upper bout will look like a mirror image of the lower bout.

As to being a line that you can feel, I would be more concerned with the seam, you shouldn't be able to feel it without some difficulty. Take a look at some other guitars and see what I mean. If it's really noticable, I would take it back. If you bought the guitar new it would be covered under warranty.

Yamaha has a good warranty for original owners.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Addendum,

Solid top means that the top is not plywood, solid tops sound much better than plywood but it is slightly more fragile. Plywood is a little stronger and cheaper for the manufacturer to make.

Not all plywood is bad, Gibson semi-hollow bodies like an ES-335 have plywood tops, it's not as critical on an electric, and Martin uses an OSB type laminate on some of their more affordable acoustics. Also Rainsong doesn't even use wood on one of their acoustics, it's carbon-fiber! :shock:

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@ghost-shadow)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

If it's running the length of the guitar right smack in the middle, it's normal.
It's called "bookmatching". They take a slab of spruce or whatever your top wood is that's a little thicker than the finished top and split it so you can open it up like a book. This is more stable than a single piece the width of the guitar. Take a look at the top, the upper bout will look like a mirror image of the lower bout.

As to being a line that you can feel, I would be more concerned with the seam, you shouldn't be able to feel it without some difficulty. Take a look at some other guitars and see what I mean. If it's really noticable, I would take it back. If you bought the guitar new it would be covered under warranty.

Yamaha has a good warranty for original owners.

You can feel it as a raised seam when you slide your finger over it. There is also a big difference in shading from both sides. Just looks so obvious when you look at it.

Thank you for explaining and replying!!
Joseph

ReplyQuote