Clear all

2 Cover Songs

26 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I decided to do some recording on my day off. I recording Smells Like Teen Spirit (again) and Heart Shaped Box. I am determined to get the former right. I did that thing, where you start out at 60bpm and increase the speed gradually. Seems to work, though I think I had the volume too high.

http://owa.dmusic.com/

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

Posted : 15/06/2006 4:44 pm
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

I've listened to these yesterday. They sound good - a lot of improvement. Have you thought about adding vocals?

oktay

Posted : 16/06/2006 9:49 pm
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

You're getting there. 8)

Are you doing all up and down strokes?

How are you recording?

Posted : 16/06/2006 10:06 pm
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

i like both those songs allot

i think you're doin a good job you pretty much have the SLTS solo nailed. My only suggestion would be to add delay when doing the solo it's gonna make it sound much fuller - for any solo really.

Also i've found adding chorus (not 2 much though) to the solo also gets close to the tone they have on the record.

Now what about doing some metallica covers hey ;)

Minus

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

Posted : 17/06/2006 7:15 am
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

you don't have the rhythm right for smells like teen spirit, although what you're doing sounds pretty cool if you listen again. it just sounds harsh because it's not quite what you expect to hear.

Posted : 17/06/2006 10:22 am
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

sounds like they're coming along! I'm learning Heart Shaped Box myself.

Posted : 19/06/2006 1:24 am
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the feedback. I might re-do them using my RP50 instead. My mic tends to make things sound fuzzier than they are and my Digitech Grunge is on the fuzzy side, even with the gain all the way down.

I'm still having troubles with the rhythm of SLTS. That's part of the reasons I wanted lessons. So someone could show me the strumming and all, but no one wants me as a student, so I'll have to fiddle around till I get it.

Anyone have suggestions for playing that song?

Posted : 19/06/2006 3:37 am
(@smokehouse)
Honorable Member

:( sorry cant here anything it says loading but nothing happens :?

:WHO INVENTED WORK SHOULD COME BACK AND FINISH THE JOB OFF: http://www.soundclick.com/bartin

Posted : 19/06/2006 6:27 am
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

OWA i don't know what kind of amp you have. BTW what kind is it?
Personally i prefer not to use pedals and other stuff when it comes to distortion. What I've noticed is whether I'm using a marshall mod or rectifier the sound i get when recording is pretty similar.

Although there IS a big difference in sound when listening to the amp of the floor.

Try and use the distortion from your amp only, without going through a pedal or anything like that.
You could also try turning the down the input line coming into your PC (I assume your using this for recording)
You might also want to try windows media encoder if you haven't done so already. I find it useful because it gives me a volume bar measuring my input volume.

You can do this on the fly, if it's green occasionally yellow the recording usually sounds pretty good once the volume bar starts hitting red your sound get distorted.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/forpros/encoder/default.mspx

Minus

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

Posted : 19/06/2006 12:35 pm
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I have a 15W Crate. And how to a change from clean to dirty mid song without a pedal? I don't own a footswitch and there is no place to plug one in.

Posted : 19/06/2006 1:49 pm
(@dneck)
Prominent Member

SLTS was one of my 1st song. When I first got my guitar I was like "man i gotta learn some nirvana"

my strum pattern was
d=down u=up m=mute

F5
d d u d dm um dm um
Bb5
d d dm um
G#5
d d u d dm um dm um
C#5
d d dm um

for The F and G# do the mutes holding the chord
for the Bb and C# you gotta do them on the way back to the F and G#

Also he probably did this song tuned down a half step so really id be in G#, not sure though.

your definetly getting better

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

Posted : 19/06/2006 3:06 pm
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Ok so you are suggesting:

E|-----------------------------------------|
B|-----------------------------------------|
G|---------------3-3-0---------------6-6-0-|
D|-3-3-3-x-x-x-x-3-3-0-6-6-6-x-x-x-x-6-6-0-|
A|-3-3-3-x-x-x-x-1-1-0-6-6-6-x-x-x-x-4-4-0-|
E|-1-1-1-x-x-x-x-------4-4-4-x-x-x-x-------|
D D U D U D U D D D D D U D U D U D D D

Is that right?

Posted : 19/06/2006 3:30 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

That riff is all about the timing, and there's no sense of that in the tab you've posted. My advice would be to practice along with the record - just playing single notes/mutes until you're playing it just right and not thinking about it too much, then go back to getting the full chords in there.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 19/06/2006 3:42 pm
(@dneck)
Prominent Member

the only way to truley write music out with the timing is on the classical 6 line staff otherwise in guitar you just write out the notes and approximate and then listen to what you are trying to copy to get the exact timing, that kinda goes without saying i thought.

And sorry no yours isnt quite what I was saying, the second down stroke is kind of a mute as well, you can skip it and just give it very slight pause instead of playing the second down stroke.

like this

E|---------------------------------------------------------|
B|---------------------------------------------------------|
G|--------------------3-3-x-x--------------------6-6-x-x-|
D|-3--3-3--x-x-x-x-3-3-x-x--6--6-6-x-x-x-x-6-6-x-x-|
A|-3--3-3--x-x-x-x-1-1-x-x--6--6-6-x-x-x-x-4-4-x-x-|
E|-1--1-1--x-x-x-x------------4--4-4-x-x-x-x-----------|
---D--U D-D-U-D-U-D-D-D U D U D D U D U DD DU

It was hard to get that to line up lol thats the strum pattern though

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

Posted : 19/06/2006 4:29 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Dneck, use the 'code' button to line it all up - best option is to write it notepad (or something similar with a monospaced font), then cut and paste to between the code tags...

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 19/06/2006 4:52 pm
Page 1 / 2