Clear all

A Sailor's Song (V2.0)

11 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

This was an SSG song from a couple of years ago - I'm re-doing all the old stuff song by song - anyway, after I'd heard Smokehouse playing blues harp, I asked him if he'd like to add harmonica to this....he kindly agreed (AND mixed it)... here are the results. I've left the original on soundclick for comparison....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=225059

Warning - Infected with Pachelbel Virus! (See opinions and polls for explanation,

http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?t=31241

Thanks Smokehouse!!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 22/02/2007 5:25 pm
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

Fantastic Vic, I really love your voice. The whole song is great but your vocals blow me away. Check your PM's

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

Posted : 22/02/2007 7:12 pm
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Love it Vic. Can you post the lyrics? Haha, a little Pachlebel, whatever. Sounds great dude, startin to really enjoy the songs your posting.

Edit: Listened to the wrong version apparently, as there was no harmonica. The harmonica version is great too, nice job smokehouse.

Vic, I think the vocals are a little low in this version though. Your voice is VERY different compared to the orginal, which had a rougher sound. Neither is better than the other in this respect, both sound great, but I think it might need to be a little higher in volume.

Maybe not, I don't know, as I'm listening I'm changing my mind.

Either way, it sounds incredible. Love your style dude, would be great if you could post the lyrics.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

Posted : 22/02/2007 8:12 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Vic,

Nice job, sound a little like Jacob Dylan. Great stuff and nice job with the harp smoke!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 22/02/2007 8:26 pm
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Nice re make Vic

Taso on sound click if you click lyrics/story the lyrics come up ..

I know alot of people { me included } define your voice as Dylanish but listening to this I think has really evolved into something very special and unique ..

I can see after a few brews half tanked singing this in the local ,
{ that was suppose to be a compliment }

Nice mate

Trevor

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

Posted : 22/02/2007 9:18 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

The original lyrics and the story behind the song are here.....

http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?t=14240

I changed them around a little for this version, the main thing being I swapped round the second half of verses 2 & 3 - seemed to read better that way....

And sometimes, when I'm singing, I tend to change lyrics anyway - that happened here in a couple of places....

OH, and did I remember to thank Smokehouse, not only for the brilliant harmonica, but for telling me how to get rid of the pops, plosives and esses.....amazing what you can do with a wire coathanger and a pair of tights isn't it! (Marilyn's old tights, I hasten to add - never worn 'em myself. Except for this one time......no, I'll save that story for my autobiography..... )

Taso, the difference in vocal quality is down to two things:

1 - Been two months since I last smoked - I can hold a note, I don't have to worry about running out of breath half-way through a line, and I've lost a lot of the roughness on my vocal chords....

2 - The encouragement I've had on these forums - I've never really liked my own voice, I always wanted to sing like Joe Cocker or Paul Rodgers, but people have been kind enough to encourage me, and make flattering comparisons with well-known artists......Dylan, for one - and hey I like his voice.....

Even Marilyn never thought much of my voice - even she's surprised by the change in it after such a short time....

Oh well - back to the microphone.....

Thanks for your kind words, everyone.....but in my opinion, it's the harmonica that really makes the song - I can play harp a little, just wish I could play like Smokehouse....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 22/02/2007 10:44 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Downloaded and added to my weekly playlist. I could swear I could hear some phasing or such on the vocals but it's very minor, not quite sure if it's intentional or not. Ah well, an enjoyable production, so thanks to both of you. :D

Posted : 23/02/2007 12:29 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I did three vocal tracks (well, one, cut-and-pasted....) - one is panned 40% left, one in the middle, and the other 40% right.... but I used the timeshift button, and there's just a TINY bit of delay - about 1/10th of a second - between each track, so there's just a little echo....

Funny, because I keep imagining I can hear the ghost of a harmonica behind the verses.....

But well spotted, Mr FX Maestro.....

vic

Posted : 23/02/2007 12:36 am
(@margaret)
Noble Member

That is really choice, gentlemen!

Especially good lyrics.

Good work all the way around!

And Vic, your voice is much better to listen to than (Bob) Dylan's, IMO.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 23/02/2007 2:34 am
(@smokehouse)
Honorable Member

hey vic, just had a thought if you sold copies of this instead of giving free mp3,s 400 copies @ £5 = £2,000=new recording studio for you!! :D not just a pretty face here............smoke

:WHO INVENTED WORK SHOULD COME BACK AND FINISH THE JOB OFF: http://www.soundclick.com/bartin

Posted : 23/02/2007 3:04 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

hey vic, just had a thought if you sold copies of this instead of giving free mp3,s 400 copies @ £5 = £2,000=new recording studio for you!! :D not just a pretty face here............smoke

nah, couldn't do that to all the people here who've actually taken the time and trouble to listen to my "musical" ramblings - must be the old hippy in me coming out - "Music should be free, Maaaaaan......"

Vic

Posted : 23/02/2007 9:46 pm