Clear all

Angel On The Corner

10 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

This was written a couple of weeks ago for the SSG - I thought about doing a U2-ish acoustic ballad, but I was messing about late last night and found a nice tone for the electric guitar, I thought about adding bass and drums, but decided against it - I like it as is.

And wouldn't you just know it - I practised this about 6 times, sixth time was perfect - then I decided to record it.....didn't come out nearly as good - but my fingers, especially my pinkie, were sooooooo sore by the time I'd finished, I could'nt have done another take if my life depended on it....

Must use that pinkie more.....

Anyway, the song's here.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=225059

and it's called "Angel On The Corner"......

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 11/02/2007 5:04 pm
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

As you know Vic I was a big fan of this song when I read the lyrics ..

The MP3 is very well put together I think I hear 3 instruments in there is that right ?

well done mate

Trevor

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

Posted : 11/02/2007 5:18 pm
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Took a few tries to load.........Sounds good Vic. I like the tone. Not sure about adding drums and bass though. The verses, at least to me, felt like they were building up to a chorus more up beat with drums and bass. Still, the tempo and guitar suits the lyrics and I'm used to hearing songs that change tempo in choruses.

Really good though. What effects did you use?

Posted : 11/02/2007 5:23 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Squier Tele, played through Cube Bass amp, chorus about 6, delay about 4.....

There's one guitar track and one vocal track - but I cut and pasted the guitar track twice, and used the time-shift button on audacity, just moved two tracks a fraction of a second each - did the same with the vocal track, too.

Then I panned one guitar track 70% left, left one in the middle, panned the third 70% right....with the vocals, left the original track in the middle, panned the other two 50% left and 50% right....

I may re-record the guitar, or even add acoustic guitar played through the same settttings - not sure yet, going to wait till the fingers have cooled down a little.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 11/02/2007 5:45 pm
(@quicksand)
Eminent Member

It reminded me of the wallflowers, and i like the wallflowers. I've listened to alot of recordings from people over the internet, and your one of the best voices ive heard. Well done mate.

Posted : 11/02/2007 6:58 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Very nice Vic. 8) I like the song the way it is, without the bass & drums. Good job. :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 11/02/2007 8:31 pm
(@rocker)
Noble Member

that was cool, well done vic 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

Posted : 11/02/2007 11:23 pm
(@smokehouse)
Honorable Member

nice one vic allways liked your vocal.....smoke

:WHO INVENTED WORK SHOULD COME BACK AND FINISH THE JOB OFF: http://www.soundclick.com/bartin

Posted : 12/02/2007 6:38 am
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I always liked your vocals as well but I do have to say there's improvement still, you keep on sounding more confident and relaxed with each new song. As for the song, the lyrics are obviously the main feature here but even still I thought the music could be fleshed out a bit. I actually liked the absence of the drums for most of the song but I wouldn't mind to see some drums kicking in at the end of the song where you play the same progression with a solo over it. This song is kinda begging for a solo.

Anyway, I voted 'hot'. Good luck on the charts, going quite well for you right now it seems. :D

Posted : 14/02/2007 10:15 am
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Very nice song Vic. I agree with the Wallflowers comment. Liked it alot

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 14/02/2007 8:58 pm