Clear all

Another Re-do - Rainy Night In Georgia

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I did this one about a year ago or so. It was awful. It's been overhauled. I am kind of stuck in one spot, so we don't get the whole song right now. It's available, but not very good as it's a month old. Here's how I'm doing the verses and chorus. If I'm on the right path, that'd be cool. Just working out the right hand would be all's left. I kind of doubt I am, though. Any suggestions would be great. Oh, and pardon the brevity and quickness of recording. It's not a finished product by any means. I'm just stuck.

Here's the link. http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9170336

I also need a bit of help with this one from anyone who might know the song. It's a Tony Joe White song made into a big hit in something like 1970 by Brook Benton (what a voice!!!) and redone by Conway Twitty and Sam Moore about 15-20 years ago. So, I've got three versions to go by.

My problem is the bridge. I don't know what I should be playing. I think it should be something like this:

Bridge
[C]How many times I have [F]wondered
[C]But it always comes out the [F]same
No [Cm]matter how you [Am]look at it or [Cm]think about it
It's some of it [Am]pleasure, [F]some of it [C]pain

I ended up using Fmaj7 and Bbmaj7 on the verses and Dm, Am, Am7, G#m7, Gm7, Bb and Fmaj7 on the choruses. The chorus is all barred except the Fmaj7. Makes a fun little Am-G#m7-Gm7 walk up towards the head stock.

I do the intro bit too. A little 2-3 string slide from the 8th to 10th fret, then up the neck a few strums each at 10-8-5 and then 3. I go into my Fmaj7 from there. There's a little riff I do when doing the Fmaj7 in between the melody. A fill, I guess. It's like this.
X-X-3-2-1-0 until this point, and then even strokes and probably quarter notes letting the final ring another beat.
X-X-3-2-3-0
X-X-3-2-1-0
X-X-3-3-1-0
X-X-3-2-1-0

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 20/05/2010 11:07 pm
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Hey, Roy, no fair! You're lapping me in learning this song and I was the one who turned you on to it in the first place. :wink:
Great progress on a song I find really tricky to suss out. Congrats!
I have some melody lines fleshed out you might find handy. I'll try to cobble something together over the weekend and forward.
:)

Don

Posted : 21/05/2010 6:06 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Kewl, I look forward to that. I've got some from a GP file. Maybe between the two of there might be enough good to cover the whole song. 8)

You wanna add a melody line to this once I figure out the bridge and complete it? I've got the opening and verses going OK.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 25/05/2010 9:03 am
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Completely forgot I was going to do that. Sorry, will get on it. :oops:
Sounds good!
:)

Don

Posted : 25/05/2010 2:08 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

very nice Roy. the guitar has a nice feel.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 25/05/2010 10:44 pm