Clear all

ZZ Top RE-do & Collaboration

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Fresh off the stamping line. JWMartin threw together a great rhythm section as a result of hearing the botched up one I put together from a Guitar Pro File. This is JW on bass guitar and drums software. (Thanks again!!!! What a great track to pay to. 8) )

I re-did the rhythm guitar, lead guitar and added a third track with the turn arounds. I did not do the vocals over as doing so would be really super painful right now and for the near future. Everything else is fresh. A big thanks to JW for jumping in and for dogbite's and others' comments to help me go up a level. Still a ways to go, but I'm getting there.

Here it is. http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9170226

For you gear junkies, my guitar was run Boss GT-10 headphone out into my PC mic in with Audacity as the software. The different guitare tracks were:
rhythm - Squire Tele w/USA Fender pickups, tuned to open G and run through a Fender Twin emulation, Boss Blues Driver 2, Boss compressor and Spring reverb emulations.
Turn Arounds: Epi LP, bridge, same set up on GT-10
Lead: Epi LP, Bridge, same reverb but a Tube Screamer emulation instead of the BD-2 and no compression.

Thanks in advance for listening, and helpful suggestions always welcome.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 20/05/2010 10:44 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Well done guys! 8)

I am listening with the SoundClick player and with my computer speakers but I do not hear the bass track well, the guitars are higher than the bass. Or perhaps it is a matter of equalization. Wait for other comments because these are not good speakers!

Thanks for sharing.

Posted : 21/05/2010 10:16 am
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Sounds pretty good Roy. It was a fun track to record.

Nuno, I don't know if it is Soundclick or what, but same here with me. There's points where the bass peeks through, but I've noticed Soundclick usually sounds awful on computer or laptop speakers. Of course, everything sounds awful on laptop speakers.

For the curious, the drums were MIDI ran through Addictive Drums. The bass was recorded direct from my Gallien-Kreuger amp on my SX Jazz 5 string.

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 21/05/2010 11:05 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I dunno. I think the mix sounds a bit off this morning as well and not through Soundclick alone. Perhaps I got that tone burnout thing going yesterday. Let me at it for a bit and I'll post up another version.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 21/05/2010 11:25 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I broke the golden rule of problem solving and did a whole bunch of stuff at once.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9172046

+3 drum & bass track to end up at +4 db. Panning +/- 0 dead center.
-3 rhythm guitar to -4 db. Panning from 40% left to 40% right.
-2 VOX end up at -2 db. panning ??% to 10% right. (I think it was 30% before)
-4 lead and fill to end up at -3 db. panning moved from way right to 30% left. (I think I was 60-70% right before)

Anyhow, if anyone would/could/will take brief listen to both and advise accordingly. After all, this is a learning tool more than anything else for me.

Roy

Posted : 21/05/2010 11:54 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I can feel the bass now 8)

Mixing is not easy, it seems easy but there are many parameters. I remember some similar troubles with one of our collaborations with Dogbite. When he read it, probably he can give some good advices, he is very good with mixings.

Posted : 21/05/2010 2:32 pm
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Sounds like you were having a blast, Roy. :)
Nice rhythm section, jwmartin!
:)

Don

Posted : 21/05/2010 2:35 pm
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Sounds a lot better, Roy. Gotta have some bass :mrgreen:

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 21/05/2010 10:55 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Sounds like you were having a blast, Roy.
Indeed! The worst part was trying to maintain the delicate touch need for the rhythm guitar while being in to the music I was playing against. I had to pull the reins in on myself a time or two. :oops:

Roy

Posted : 22/05/2010 7:41 pm