Clear all

Beginner/Intermediate Challenge - "Mourning Cloak"

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@quarterfront)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Alright, so here's my contribution to the Beginner / Intermediate Challenge. The working title is "Mourning Cloak". I wrote it myself and I'm mighty proud of it so be reasonably nice or I'll say nasty stuff about your mom :wink:.

The backing track is about where I want it to be. The solo is not as cohesive as I'd like, and I'm working to refine it a bit. This version is just the first one that was usable.

My recording setup leaves a bit to be desired. It's the little Campaq microphone that sits on the top of my computer monitor, propped up in front of my amp on a couple of books.

For both the lead and backing tracks the guitar is a Les Paul running through a Line 6 Verbzilla pedal into a kit-built reproduction Fender Tweed Deluxe (5e3).

I like the tone on the backing track but I'm not completely happy with the lead track tone yet. I like that it's fairly mellow sounding and fairly sweet sounding but don't like that it sounds a little like a xylophone sometimes. I think it needs just a little dirt on it. I need to run the amp higher and drive it more but I'm working in my house and don't want to blast my ears out or wake the neighbors....

For the record, I guess I"m "Intermediate". I've been playing since the beginning of November, 2004, so call it 22 months.

Okay, so here's the link.

http://home.earthlink.net/~trickflier/storage/Mourning_Cloak_Test_Mix.mp3

Thanks for listening,
Shane

Posted : 31/08/2006 8:00 pm
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Sounds nice Shane. Very pretty song - congrats! The recording sounds a little low though; I had to strain to hear it a little. And, the lead track has a little too much treble - I agree, throw just a bit of "dirt" on it and it will sound much better.

Posted : 31/08/2006 8:59 pm
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Sounds really good to me - nice work!

LaRS

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

Posted : 31/08/2006 9:19 pm
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

Sounds very nice..I really liked the backing track with the fingerpicking. As mentioned earlier, the volume was really low..maybe you can just give the lead track some boost in your recording program if the mic is not very efficient.

(BTW, can you give some more detail on this "kit" based amplifier? I'm curious..)

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

Posted : 31/08/2006 9:51 pm
(@quarterfront)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Yeah, the level on the recording is down there a bit. The mic I'm using seems to distort way before the meters get up to where distortion ought to be an issue, so I have to keep it down below what would be ideal. One of these days I'll get a little digital multitrack machine and an SM-57 and I'll be cookin' with gas....

Vink, re. the kit based amp, it's a reproduction of a Fender Tweed Deluxe circa 1959. There are a few different places where you can get kits like this on the web. Mine came from Weber; another popular maker is Mission. The Weber kits are pretty bare bones, instructions-wise; you can download a schematic and a layout from Weber's website but the kit doesn't come with step by step instructions. Mission amps come with detailed instructions, but cost a bit more.

Building a tube amp is a really great way to get a really great amp for not a lot of $$. The usual warnings need to be heeded of course: tube amps contain potentially lethal voltages, sometimes even when they're powered down and unplugged, and you don't want to come in contact with those voltages. And, some rudimentary electrical skills are required; neatness counts and one bad solder joint or sloppily dressed lead can give you an amp that sounds awful instead of great.

Posted : 31/08/2006 10:52 pm
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Very Nice

I really enjoyed listening to this. There are a couple
of places where the lead could be smoother but
there are also a couple where that works nicely.

Good Job

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

Posted : 31/08/2006 11:26 pm
(@smokehouse)
Honorable Member

wish i thought of that :shock: very very nice s

:WHO INVENTED WORK SHOULD COME BACK AND FINISH THE JOB OFF: http://www.soundclick.com/bartin

Posted : 01/09/2006 6:15 am