Clear all

Beginners Blues Stuff (advice welcome)

13 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

This is from the first couple of chapters from the House of Blues Level 1 book. It's just an Open Chord Blues Progression in Em (I think, can't remember), and then a full lead lick as well. I'm trying to find a way to get a decent blues sound, it sounds nothing like whats on the CD/DVD that came with it because he's got some effects going as well. Right now the lead kind of sounds like a screaming cat. :D

I'm just playing on a Squire Affinity Strat through a VOX Pathinder 15R with the Overdrive on and turned up just a bit.

Any advice is much appreciated

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaH6d7gSl6c

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 15/04/2009 4:28 am
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Thats really nice!! Its clean, the timing is good and the tone is crisp. :note1: :note2:
Great job 8) 8) 8)

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 15/04/2009 6:37 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks, appreciate it!

I wish I had the original track to upload to compare it to on me.

Posted : 15/04/2009 6:41 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

It sounds well to me, I like very much your amp, in fact, I was considering to purchase it some time ago. Perhaps you could modify the eq in the amp but don't try copy the guitar tone in the CD, surely they use another guitar with different pickups.

The vibrato in the second part is really good! I needed a lot of time for starting to hear it and I think I can not play with vibrato properly.

In my SoundClick page you will find some blues backing tracks in A, G and E. The instruction stuff that I use always recommends to play with a metronome or backing track, so it is easier when you play with a band. I learnt some studies (short blues pieces) without this guide and it is not easy maintain the timing or play them with backing tracks.

Well done, bluesman! 8)

Posted : 15/04/2009 12:33 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks Nuno.

I'll have to download those backing tracks or use what's on the CD/DVD that came with the book, I think it will help with timing. When listening back it sounds a bit off to me.

As far as vibrato goes, I'm not sure what I was doing, it just sounded cool when I did it, so I threw it in there after practicing that lick a few times.

Posted : 15/04/2009 4:34 pm
(@don-wiklund)

You've got the chords down. You're playing clearly and you've got the progression. I'm no guitar teacher for sure but it seems to me the next thing is to experiment with some right hand techniques. Chunka Chunka Chunka/Bass line picking etc.

Sounding good.

Posted : 26/07/2009 1:00 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

thanks alot! I forgot all about this one!

I had ended up going through the backing track on the Cd and the first half of the track was that lick, then they wanted you to improv for the 2nd half, which I've never done before, so it was interesting, heres the link at any rate

http://www.box.net/shared/xkdsoh8ye0

Posted : 28/07/2009 3:30 am
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Thanks for revisiting the topic and for the link. It's a good one. 8)

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

Posted : 28/07/2009 2:36 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks alot! I've kind of forgotten all about the blues stuff I was trying to learn since I started doing a whole TON of stuff with learning some fingerstyle stuff. Once I'm done with this other piece I'm working on I think I'll be going back and re-visiting the House of Blues book that this came from.

Posted : 29/07/2009 3:04 am
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

You're progressing well man! You might want to focus on bending for a bit. You get most your strength from your fingers but if you try bending from the wrist you can bend without having to work so much. try using a 'guide tone', have the digital piano play a specific note and try to bend towards that with your guitar. First starting a semi-tone below, then two and finally three semi-tones. Make sure you 'anchor' your thumb

For improvisation, maybe this might help just a bit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loqsHUU5Wd4

Posted : 29/07/2009 8:51 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks for that! Great Stuff to learn from!

Posted : 29/07/2009 9:14 am
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

its good Joe - but its also a reminder that there is a huge amount of different avenues you could take with the guitar.
your finger picking is awesome - your wonderful tonight is something i dont think i could be capable of playing - especially live - it was very good indeed.

This is a completely different style, and you dont look as comfortable with it as you have with other video's you have posted when you fingerpicked, but it is still good. im looking forward to the next one. you are obviously becoming a good All round guitarist.

Al

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 29/07/2009 9:41 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the comments on the fingerpicking! I really appreciate it!

The blues thing is a whole different avenue for me, I never really thought I liked the blues until I started listening to alot of peoples work on here and was thinking "wow I wish I could do that" and thought that I should do something about it. So I blame this community for expanding my musical taste :twisted:

The video that was posted was the FIRST thing I've ever done with the blues, and hopefully I'll get back into it.

With my new electric guitar I think that I'll be working more on lead and blues than I used to....which was never. :lol:

Posted : 30/07/2009 3:11 am