Clear all

Beginner's videos

1,082 Posts
81 Users
0 Likes
271 K Views
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

ended up in pain most of the night (extra fluid in body due to pregnancy = more pressure on carpal nerves = bout of carpal tunnel syndrome. 30 week preg
And....? :roll:

Rock a bye baby!

D 8) xx

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 17/04/2008 1:25 pm
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

Hey Dylan, we're waiting for you to post a video of Over The Hills and Far Away :roll: :wink:
8) :P

How are you doing with that song finally?
a) :D
b) :)
c) :(
d) :shock:
e) :?
f) 8)
g) :evil:
h) :twisted:

:lol:

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

Posted : 18/04/2008 12:46 am
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

How's that for intimidation?

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 18/04/2008 1:23 am
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

How's that for intimidation?

Not sure to understand what you mean :oops:

:arrow: I'm gonna get out and take english lesson...

I thought it was my own

Posted : 18/04/2008 2:41 am
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

You have challenged Dylan.
A duel (but not to the death)
A duel of guitars (if it was banjos, well that is another story)
And you used all the smileys in doing so!
A slap in the face which he must answer to maintain his honor and dignity.

(no pressure there, Dylan)

We're all awaiting your response, DB.

DB's best friend (and second if it comes to a duel),
(You would think the French and British could get along by now)
KR

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 18/04/2008 3:04 am
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Okay, okay, okay... reality tv comes to hear here....

I'm not doing this on YouTube - I'll just post on myspace to show everyone the problems I have in learning a song like OTHAFA from scratch ...and without a personal tutor... :wink: .

I'll try and produce one, probably not every day, it's just not practical for me, but with the length of time it will take to get it right, I think myspace will run out of server space.... :lol:

You have to remember I've been playing..learning..guitar for 8 months and I still can't get my barre chord transitions smooth - but hey, that's the least of my worries.. :cry: (I like this little guy)

Claudine - I hope you realise this is all your fault... :evil: In answer to your question to Ken, il dit que vous m'intimidez, and as for your score card (which I think needs a little bit or reorganising).....c) :cry:

The first little vid will be after...well....I suppose about an hour's practice - I've looked at a couple of acoustic tuition videos and can see the left hand positions quite well, but different tutors use slightly different methods and chord structures. Problem is my right hand as I'm NOT using a pick, and no one shows a fingering patter, so I'm all fingers and thumbs at the moment, but again, least of my worries because the left hand needs to hammer on and pull off swiftly at quite a stretch....

Why oh why have I decided to do this....must be love :roll:

And Ken - stop winding people up... post a vid of DITW so we can get a bit of consolation.. :lol:

Rock on !

D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 18/04/2008 7:39 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Allow me to interject and suggest something that might be quite fun for yooze fine people as well as that Stone hatin' Ken. :mrgreen:

I just looked over the song on Guitar Pro. There are about a dozen or so riffs and a solo that make up the whole song. 6 guitars total, but only 1-3 of 'em going on at once during any one time. 113 bars of glory. Why not do a collaboration? I bet it would be a blast to work on.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 18/04/2008 8:01 am
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

Way to go Dylan! It's pretty cool to see how you're picking hand improves, the tone you get out of yoru fingers is pretty darn impressive! I was just wondering, if you're done with yoru year you should really edit it into some kind of documentary. Something like a mix between recordings, chronologically and yourself looking back at it all, pointing at whatever problems you ran into and how you handled them. Like a introduction to someone's first guitar journeys by explorer Dylan Barrett. 8)

+1 to that. 8)

I should spend some time checking more of these vids, I'm pleased I checked that one out! I remember how horrible it felt when I started out, my pops taught me to play fingerpicking stuff, and no one else I knew did that, so they all sounded better than me (to my ears, anyway) with their electric guitars and distorted Oasis chords. But I can still outplay every single one of them when it comes to playing an acoustic. 8) And I aint all that awful on electric, either. 8)

In other words, stick with it guys! Fingerpicking is probably the hardest intro to guitar playing (either that or classical guitar), but once you've been playing a year or two and it becomes comfortable, you'll be miles ahead of anyone who took 'the easy route'.

Sweet playing Dylan! (I was gonna add it to my faves, but this computer wont let me log in :cry: ).

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

Posted : 18/04/2008 8:42 am
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Why not do a collaboration? I bet it would be a blast to work on.

Well, as i've got several songs I'm trying to learn to play from scratch, then why not...another shouldn't pose a problem.. :roll:

What do you suggest Mr Parker - can you post the links to the riff (send it to me first 'cos I want to choose the easiest one, but don't tell anyone else :wink: )

Rock on!

D 8)

Posted : 18/04/2008 10:35 am
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

Ok, I understand, thanks for the translation Dylan, your French is great. Could you make the translation in your video too ? :wink:

And I didn't want to seem like challenging you Dylan, but you asked a question about Over The Hills and Far Away on the beginner forum so I knew that you were trying to learn it and I couldn't wait to see you play that song :wink:

But no pressure here Dylan, take your time, it's a difficult one!

Good luck!

I thought it was my own

Posted : 18/04/2008 11:16 am
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Hey everyone...

Okay, I managed to find a bit of time to bring to you the first in this excrutiating series of videos where I attempt to learn Led Zeps OTHAFA - inspired by Claudine's version a bit earlier, in which she managed to learn the intro riffs in a couple of days... :roll:

This first video is a bit long but sort of shows you the problem I had deciding which fingers to use for plucking the strings because all the lessons I've seen used a pick (and they don't show the right hand anyway 'cos they don't need to) - I figured as you hold the pick with your thumb and forefinger then I might as well use those two...

The next vids will be a lot shorter I promise - just fast forward if you want...

Clau, sorry, I can't play guitar and speak French at the same time so I'm afraid you'll have to wait to hear my linguistic skills.

Ken, Dust in the WInd uploaded by the end of the weekend please... :wink:

Rock on!

D 8)

Posted : 18/04/2008 2:02 pm
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

I am sooo far behind :cry:

Posted : 18/04/2008 3:29 pm
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

Nice Dylan

You progressed in only five minutes in that video! The second half was great, the pull-off are getting better and better!

Yeah, I learned that intro riff in a couple of day, but what you forgot to say is that I played for 2 years now :wink: When I had just 8 months of experience, I couldn't even think about playing that song :lol:

I thought it was my own

Posted : 18/04/2008 6:05 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Why not do a collaboration? I bet it would be a blast to work on.

Well, as i've got several songs I'm trying to learn to play from scratch, then why not...another shouldn't pose a problem.. :roll:

What do you suggest Mr Parker - can you post the links to the riff (send it to me first 'cos I want to choose the easiest one, but don't tell anyone else :wink: )

Rock on!

D 8)

I looked at both of my Guitar Pro versions and the Powet-tab version. If power-tab is still available and free, download it and find the song file somewhere. (I have a copy and can email you if all else fails). You'll see it's quite extensive, but each little piece is easy for the most part. I think the lead is the toughest. Would be for me, but I suck at lead.

There's also a tab I found with most of the parts tabbed out, but I would recommend getting the PT freeware to see how it all fits together. http://getsome.org/guitar/olga/main/l/led_zeppelin/over_the_hills_and_far_away.ta b"> http://www.guitarnotes.com/tabs/gtframe.cgi?http://getsome.org/guitar/olga/main/l/led_zeppelin/over_the_hills_and_far_away.tab

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 19/04/2008 2:49 am
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Hi all

Day 2....

Before anyone says - yes, I know there ISN"T two pull-off notes before each bar (it's an annoying habit I've just noticed myself doing - I hit the first note before I'm ready for the second so I play it twice - it's sooooo annoying and I'm going to try really hard not to do it next time...) :roll:

Will post another update on Monday - have a great ... and musical... weekend...

Rock on!

D 8)

Posted : 19/04/2008 1:52 pm
Page 26 / 73