Clear all

Beginner's videos

1,082 Posts
81 Users
0 Likes
271.1 K Views
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Well, I finally received my guitar in the mail on Friday. Opened up with lots of excitement, couldn't wait to start playing, and a piece of wood fell out of the sound hole. :x

Now it didn't really seem to effect anything once I tuned and started strumming, however the guitar wouldn't stay in tune for longer than 5 or 6 strums. :(

Oh well, at least a friendly local guitar shop said that they could fix it up and sell it as a beginner guitar, and gave me what I payed for it, which was only $30. But I was able to buy from them a 3/4 size Stagg Acoustic, which is a dream to play. I can actually play bar chords with some consistency on this thing. I hope to start posting a video soon to have everyone pick apart. (no pun intended). :D

Dylan, nice videos by the way!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 21/04/2008 2:59 am
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Hi all

Ok, let me know if you're getting fed up with these vids and I'll stop posting them - heck, no I won't... :shock: Why should I suffer in silence... :lol:

Sorry for the poor audio quality (excellent, I can blame the noise on the microphone). I think I have a string going south...
It's coming along, and you can see all the areas that I need to work on...about two minutes worth... :roll:

I think it's now going to take quite a bit of time to get it sounding sweet like Claudine's version.

Hey Joe....Sorry to hear about your bargain guitar...I've got a Stagg Acoustic - - it's a nice sound and even better using the original Stagg strings which I'll probably use when I restring it soon. Don't like the comment about actually playing barre chords...We're not sure about that, are we Issy?

Rock on!

D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 21/04/2008 12:53 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

That was quite pleasant.
Like Clau said, you are making progress.
I was ready to jump in there and start singing "Lady . . . .you've got the love I need"!
Woohooo!

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 21/04/2008 3:38 pm
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Hey good job Dylan!

Was that a self-censored 'oh bollocks!' I could almost hear at min 01:10? ;)

Posted : 21/04/2008 4:49 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Getting better ever vid! Nice!

Posted : 22/04/2008 3:06 am
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

Yeah again, more and more progress

Keep posting those vid, I watched them even if I didn't post a reply for the other one :wink:

Would you try something for me? Try to play this with a pick, 1 time. I want to see how you do with a pick.. :wink:

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

Posted : 22/04/2008 4:42 am
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Hi guys, thanks for the comments.. :oops:

Hey Ken, jump right in and sing along ... but you brought me back down to earth when you said it was 'very pleasant' - Hmmmm :? Not really rock and roll is it...'very pleasant' ... :cry:

Issy - yup, but it started about .06, then .33 and...

Pick eh... I'll have to practice a bit first because it's a really odd feeling...but I'll give it a go..

Rock on!

D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 22/04/2008 7:16 am
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

:lol:

Ok, ok, I understand :wink:

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

Posted : 22/04/2008 2:00 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

LOL!!! That's awsome, show that pick who holds the power!

Will finally have a chance to post a video tomorrow, get the earmuffs ready!

Posted : 23/04/2008 8:32 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Okay, here's my video. No frills or anything just straight intro and playing, I'll get to working on making the video better later on.

I did the first verse and chorus of "Hurt" by Johnny Cash ending with the instrumental part.

I'm learning how to use a pick, and this song seemed to really help things click for me in using one. I also tried to to a bit of singing. Lots and lots of work needed for this one, some timing issues I believe.

Posted : 24/04/2008 3:36 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I think you did alright there, Joe. I'm sure you know the things you need to work on. First times are tough.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 24/04/2008 3:48 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Thanks! Yeah, I need to work on well....pretty much everything! :D

Posted : 24/04/2008 5:55 am
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Okay, here's my video. No frills or anything just straight intro and playing, I'll get to working on making the video better later on.

I did the first verse and chorus of "Hurt" by Johnny Cash ending with the instrumental part.

I'm learning how to use a pick, and this song seemed to really help things click for me in using one. I also tried to to a bit of singing. Lots and lots of work needed for this one, some timing issues I believe.

Hey not too shabby, Joe

You jumped right in there with BOTH feet playin' and asingin' Bravo!
Now you have a baseline to compare yourself with over the next months and years.

Cool song choice. I don't think I've heard that Johny Cash song so I'm
going to find it on YouTube to see how Johnny Cash did it.

Welcome to the frolicking World of Beginner Guitar Videos via GuitarNoise. . . . .
where a sense of humor is a necessity, modesty our strength, and humbleness abounds.

Back to edit: Found it. Quite an impressive JC video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=SmVAWKfJ4Go
Thanks for that, Joe

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 24/04/2008 6:44 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Thanks! Yeah, I need to work on well....pretty much everything! :D

Hah! Not even. The biggest thing I saw was the use of the chord sheets slowing you down a bit. It happens to all of us. Then when you get to the chorus, your confidence looks as if it jumps and you're performing for us instead of just singin' and playin'. I'm guessing that confidence is knowing the chorus chord changes better than the verse chord changes?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 24/04/2008 8:47 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

LOL, I didn't even notice I was looking at the camera, it was more of a counting the strokes in my head type of thing.

Yeah, and looking at the sheet was for the lyrics, I really didn't know them that well. Maybe I should have learned them a little better before putting this up. The chord changes in the verse were a no brainer. (Am, C, D)

Posted : 24/04/2008 8:57 am
Page 27 / 73