Beginner's videos

1,082 Posts
81 Users
0 Likes
271 K Views
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Hey Joe - Well Done - there's no escape now.... :twisted:

How long have you been practicing with the pick? You made it look pretty easy and it sounded good to my ears.
I suppose I'll have to have another go myself one day... :roll:

Yup, saw you reading the lyrics...but you looked pretty comfortable and your voice definitely has a JC countrystyle ring to it. Learn the lyrics so you only have to concentrate on the playing and give it another go - we'll all soon be line dancin' to Joe Hempels Country Hits... :D

Rock on!

Yeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 24/04/2008 1:33 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

thanks for everyones kind comments!!

I've been playing with a pick for about a week I think?

When I was attempting to play a couple of years ago, I did what you did Dylan and threw it against the wall. I got so proficient using my fingers that I thought, "why should I eliminate 4 of them?".

But for whatever reason, it seemed to click this time around. I'm still slow at it, so this song is slow enough for me. I'm working on the Pink Floyd solo in the intermediate section to help with a bit of speed and dexterity. I'll post something like that in a few days.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 24/04/2008 9:04 pm
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

It's the total opposite for me... :roll:

Always played with a pick... Now able to play a song in fingerpicking but play a "normal" song without a pick? Strange and uncomfortable :wink:

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

Posted : 25/04/2008 1:57 am
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

Ok, I'm still learning OTHAFA, but wanted to record something so I took it easy and record almost anything...

I just strummed 4 different chords and here it is:

I don't know if these chords are going well with each other, I just wanted to make it easy to play :wink: So Em, C, G and D...

I tried something at the end, but seems like I missed a beat... :lol:

I thought it was my own

Posted : 25/04/2008 11:57 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

You rock, Clau!

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 26/04/2008 12:04 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Clau, that was cool. Sounded like it had a Green Day accoustic vibe thingie going.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 26/04/2008 2:52 am
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Hey Claudine

Such style...and obviously great minds think alike.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9f0ZzVap-M

No, not me.... :lol:

Oh yes, I've been rather busy with work so no update on OTHAFA although I get to a stage and done improve, so the last vid may well be the best it's going to get for a while...

Maybe next week.

Rock on!

D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 26/04/2008 3:15 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

My continued attempt at Dust in the Wind
First intro and then the melody (kinda)

http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee306/kenrogers2/?action=view&current=Dustat7months.flv

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 26/04/2008 5:31 pm
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Hey Ken

That's really sweet - sounded great. And your fingers are looking more like Claudines' more and more.... :wink:

Rock on!

D 8)

Posted : 27/04/2008 7:26 am
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

That's really sweet - sounded great.
Thanks, DB
A small step for me and a backward step for rockdom.
I'm going to persist until I can get that Dust in the Wind intro.

I noticed the webcam recorded the sound as really muddy. It didn't sound that bad live.
And your fingers are looking more like Claudines' more and more.... :wink:
I liked hers so much, I thought I'd grow mine that way.

Posted : 27/04/2008 8:10 am
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

Thanks for the comment on my "chords impro" video. But I'll not make a song of that, but still working on improvisation :wink:

Nice video Ken, it's now natural for you to play that song, you seemed very comfortable while playing

Still talking about my fingers? :lol: Funny, I don't think I have the longest finger here. Ken, you have nice finger too, why do you like mine?

I thought it was my own

Posted : 27/04/2008 5:23 pm
(@mac-manc-mcmanx)
Estimable Member

Ok, I'm still learning OTHAFA, but wanted to record something so I took it easy and record almost anything...

I just strummed 4 different chords and here it is:

I don't know if these chords are going well with each other, I just wanted to make it easy to play :wink: So Em, C, G and D...

I tried something at the end, but seems like I missed a beat... :lol:
You effectively played Cranberries' Zombie with a different strum pattern :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJEySrDerj0

Hey! It ain't plagiarism if you haven't heard the original song :wink:

Kidding Clau, nice playing there. :)

When you wanna rock hard children, lean on F sharp

Posted : 27/04/2008 7:05 pm
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

I know that song but didn't listen to it recently :wink:

But I guess it will take a little time to develop my own style. When I improvise after listening music, I may play something similar...

Today I try something else and later I notice that it sound so much like Can't Stop from the Red Hot CHilli Pepper... :lol:

But it's nice if it sound like something, maybe I'm gonna be able to play some song by ear soon :)

I thought it was my own

Posted : 27/04/2008 9:34 pm
(@simonsays)
Estimable Member

Hey Guys and Girls, I'm still here. :D
Its been an age since I managed to find time to post a video but I finally managed to squeeze in a quick tune. The house was empty, the guitar tuned and an afternoon beer had been drunk. I even managed to find a pair of cheap sunglasses to obscure the fret board totally 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75UuTthyRnU

Hotel California...... My first tune to feature barre chords :shock:

Sorry but the camera batteries were on their last legs and died before I could start the second verse :roll:

I'm still really enjoying everyones videos. Keep 'em coming.

Simon

There are too many songs that have an 'F' chord in them.

Posted : 28/04/2008 9:19 am
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

You effectively played Cranberries' Zombie with a different strum pattern :lol:

Ok, yeh - I listened to Claus' video a few times and wracked my brains, added some lyrics and tried to remember what it sounded like. I came up with the vocal bridge from James Blunt and you came up with the Cranberries which I think was rattling around in my head also, but couldn't put a finger on it. Hey, they both have soldiers features in the video too.... :?

So many songs and a limited amount of chords... how many great songs have used open g, d, f and c just mixed up a bit...It's quite interesting that by just changing the strumming pattern you can come up with something that sounds totally different - add some lyrics using another couple of chords and away you go...simple... :roll:

Welcome back Simon... like the shades...although they don't seem to have affected your playing - sounding great - they're obviously not dark enough, or you're just getting too good?

The barre's sounded perfect to me, excellent. Pathetic excuse about the batteries though.. expect a better one next time.. :roll:

Rock on!

D 8)

Posted : 28/04/2008 10:07 am
Page 28 / 73