Beginner's videos

1,082 Posts
81 Users
0 Likes
270.9 K Views
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

:? I dunno whats goin on with you Ken but hope someone takes you out of your misery soon..?!
Thank you, Jenny, for your kind words of encouragement.

The food in here is terrible when they remember to feed us.
This dungeon is old.
I'm talking about way back before there were even guitars.
Some of the souls in here date back centuries.
All hoping to be stringed instrument players. . . . lyres, harps, mandolins, etc.
Over the centuries some have mutated and congealed
They've overcome the obstacles that we as beginners are just beginning to encounter
(dreaded F chord and all)
We're allowed to come up but only at night. . . never the full light of day. . .
Here's one of the older mutated creatures . . . . . . .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toXNVbvFXyk&feature=related
must go check my temperature again..!
Hope you feel better..... soon ..... better yet, real soon, please. :mrgreen:

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 29/04/2008 11:00 pm
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Weird....

Jenny - you're absolutely right I'm sure - I'm positive that it will all fall into place...but when! :twisted: Tried to run, tried to hide, break on through to the other side... Get well soon.

Ken - you're delusional! You do need help. I'll see what I can arrange...

Rock on!

D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 30/04/2008 8:29 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Here's some fingerpicking stuff. Since people are talking about Dust in the Wind alot, I figured I post a bit of that, although I don't think it's correct.

I also posted a bit of What Might Have Been by Little Texas.

No singing on this one (thank god).

- Dust in the Wind

- What Might Have Been

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 30/04/2008 12:34 pm
(@simonsays)
Estimable Member

Oh, that video of Hotel California was pretty cool, I wish I could play that.

To be honest, its not that hard to learn a simple strumming version of the song. There are two barre chords but because they occur at the start of the chord sequence they are pretty easy to change between as they are both the same basic shape.

This provides the basics of the song

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/424297/guitar_lesson_the_eagles_hotel_california/

Once you have this down its easy to add 'bits' until you have an arrangement that you enjoy playing

There are also some excellent tips in our very own easy songs database to liven up the arrangement a little. I like to use the 'beginners' intro that you saw in my video and also sometimes substitute some barres for open chords (The A and G work well) and I also find that using an Asus2 rather than an A gives a nice open sound.
Using barres also makes the ascending bass line from E to G really easy to play. The trick is to play the E chord with your 2nd, 3rd and 4th fingers leaving your first finger to fall down into the barre position and walk the whole shape up to the 3rd fret for the barred G chord

Its fair to say that this song is one of the reasons I want to learn to play guitar.

Oh, wearing a pair of cheap but very dark sunglasses seems to help too :mrgreen:

There are too many songs that have an 'F' chord in them.

Posted : 30/04/2008 4:53 pm
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

There,s just one thing that bothers me on your video Joe :wink:

Stop saying that you're not good, you ARE! When I heard you say that you were not good, and bad at fingerpicking, and all that king of negative stuff, I tought you were a new guitar player, that played for 2 months or so...

Believe me, you're good. Keep playing, keep improving, but don't say you're bad at guitar :wink:

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

Posted : 30/04/2008 9:23 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Hey thanks Clau!

I think I was meaning my arranging of the Dust in the Wind Song, I don't think it's quite right. I am actually quite happy with my finger picking, which I think is why I'm so hard on myself using a pick, finger picking just came naturally to me.

I just bought a book to finger pick some ballads like Against All Odds, Say You Say Me, Everything I Do, it all seemed kind of easy from the looks at it....then I started to try it out....ouch! I post an update on a couple of them later.

Posted : 01/05/2008 3:10 am
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Stop saying that you're not good, you ARE! When I heard you say that you were not good, and bad at fingerpicking, and all that king of negative stuff, I tought you were a new guitar player, that played for 2 months or so...

Believe me, you're good. Keep playing, keep improving, but don't say you're bad at guitar :wink:

Yeh, and just by dropping in a few duff notes every now and then aint foolin' nobody... :roll:

Anyways, i've got the copyright on playing badly, so lay off...

Ken, Ken - has the water run out?

Jailhouse Rock on!

D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 01/05/2008 6:19 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

$*#@S^ . . . .%@!.. (break in transmission)
. . . just bread and water, DB
DK hasn't caught on to binary yet . . . (cough)
I think I've found his weakness though . . .
He likes to play poker . . .
*#@)hR#C. . . .*%Gw!> (transmission restored)

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 01/05/2008 7:23 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

$*#@S^ . . . .%@!.. (break in transmission)
Nick, I said . . . poker . . .
not poke her . . . .
(not ever wanting to be censored again on this forum)
*#@)hR#C. . . .*%Gw!> (transmission restored)

Posted : 01/05/2008 8:32 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Ken, you are a strange strange man.

I hope you get out of there okay, seems like a dank and dark place. :wink:

Posted : 02/05/2008 2:50 am
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Hey all,

Have you noticed that our illustrious mentor has decided to give a lesson on Travis pickin' and showing us how to play Dust in the Wind.... :?

Hey DH - us beginners here are way ahead of you... :roll:

Rock on!

D 8)

Posted : 02/05/2008 7:24 am
(@davidhodge)

Hey DH - us beginners here are way ahead of you...

And have been for ages, sir! That's what keeps me on my toes! :wink:

Keep up the great work. It's inspiring for everyone, regardless of how long he or she has been playing, to witness the progress you're all making. And I can't thank you enough for that.

Peace

Posted : 02/05/2008 9:46 am
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

So I picked up the guitar yesterday after a couple of weeks of strict abstinence, and my 2 yr old's answer to 'Riders On The Storm' completely put me off.

After he punctuated his 'this rubbish' with a 'you noisy mummy', I decided to give up for the day.

Shame the webcam still won't record anything (funna, I can use it, I just can't save, I get an error every single time I try).

The baby loved it though - got my liver kicked about a hundred times in a few minutes playing :mrgreen:

Posted : 04/05/2008 10:25 am
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Good to hear from you Isabelle

Don't listen to the kids of today - they don't know a good tune when they hear one... :roll:

Maybe you have a rusk or crayon pushed into the webcam mechanism? Just a thought...

Rock a bye baby!

D 8)

Posted : 04/05/2008 4:23 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

So I've decided to post my attempts at doing the song "Everything I Do (I do it for you)".

This was in the Acoustic Fingerpicking Ballad arrangement book that I bought, and this seems to be a piano arrangement for guitar. Maybe that's why when it lists a "G" chord it wants you to do a hammer on from fret 3 to 5 and then immediately back from fret 5 to fret 2 (which I decided not to do, since I really can't tell the difference from going from 5 to 2 or 5 to 3. 3 was much easier to get to)

I can only play up to the chorus of this song, and it's taken quite a bit of practice to even be able to follow the tab and play along. Which is why I'm looking down the entire time. Well, anyway, I think that I've gotten the part that I know working fairly well in my last go through...I think I go through this about 5 times in the video before I give up at the chorus. Here it is!

Posted : 05/05/2008 5:28 pm
Page 30 / 73