Clear all

Beginner's videos

1,082 Posts
81 Users
0 Likes
270.9 K Views
(@simonsays)
Estimable Member

Joe, that was really mellow. Once you got going it sounded fantastic. Bravo!

Just as an aside I was wondering if there was a technical term for that 'open string strum of frustration followed by slapping the guitar body' that we all seem to employ when a picking pattern/strum/chord change goes awry? Even my guitar teacher does it from time to time :mrgreen:

Simon

There are too many songs that have an 'F' chord in them.

Posted : 05/05/2008 6:26 pm
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Way to go Joe

So, you are human after all.... excellent. :wink:

Sweet little song that, and I think you've got it down pretty well... Now, I normally get not quite as good as that with a song and I just can't lay the whole thing down without mucking it up somewhere... It's a barrier I need to get through and I'm sure I will. I'm even worse when I get the camera rolling.. :?

Nice vid - well done.

Rock on!

D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 05/05/2008 8:27 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Thanks for the feedback on this!

Simon - I think that the technical term for that is "WTF???? STUPID....STUPID....STUPID!!!!" :lol:

Dylan - Of course I'm human, I tried to get that fixed at the doctors with longer, skinnier, more dexterous fingers, but he said that I would look too much like an E.T Hybrid, it didn't seem to matter to him that I said it was fine. :roll: Oh well, looks like I'm stuck with short, pudgy fingers.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 06/05/2008 2:35 am
(@jenny-b)
Estimable Member

Beautiful Joe, what a lovely arrangement, a lot of concentration needed! you got it sounding sweet.

Posted : 06/05/2008 4:30 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Just a bit of an observation regarding a song I'm trying to learn.

Return to Pooh Corner is IMPOSSIBLE!!

I think I broke a finger trying to play it LOL

Posted : 08/05/2008 10:53 am
(@shadowraptor)
Trusted Member

Hey Guys and Gals ...

I started playing about 15 months ago, and based on what I see here, I am I still a beginner :-) I'm probably learning how to collect instruments faster than I am learning how to play them.

I'd like to try doing a video of something simple like "House of the Rising Sun" and get your opinion. Is there a primer somewhere on the internet that explains how to make and post a video?

Thanks

Rob
Canada

Have a safe and pleasant day.

Rob
Canada

Yamaha FG-730S
Crafter GAE45/N
Beaver Creek BCR8501
Yamaha CG-? (91)
Yamaha CG-171SF
Framus Texan 5/296 12-String
Takamini EG-345C 12-String
Indiana IN-BM5 Mandolin
M-Audio Oxygen 49 Keyboard

Posted : 09/05/2008 3:48 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Hello everybody! :D

I was very busy at work and other things these months so I had to reduce some of my activities as for example writing at GN.

There was great improvement in all of you! (BTW, what happen with the smilies? Or is it my Safari?) Sometimes, when we only compare with the previous day, we are not able to see the changes but, believe me, there are great improvements!

For example, Kenny, how did you that? Dust in the wind was the first song I learnt in my second era and I'm only able to play it by strumming! Congrats!

BTW, Scorpions is a German rock band, very famous at the 80s. They have several incredible rock ballads as for example Holiday, Still loving you and Wind of change, composed at 90s, when the falling of the wall and the Germany unification, incredible song and easy to play, here it is a link with the orchestral version http://youtube.com/watch?v=HxobuyB4H38 (it comes from the orchestral CD/DVD 'Moment of glory'). But they are really a hard rock band: http://youtube.com/watch?v=go4VA23-EIo

Congratulations! And I'm glad to read you again!

Posted : 10/05/2008 8:51 am
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Welcome back, Nuno.
You just made my day and my day has just started. Woohoo!
I'm still practicing Dust in the Wind and hadn't even thought of doing the strumming version.
Then Dylan pointed out that the Scorpions did it that way; no Travis picking. (cop-out I believe he said)
So I tried it and was amazed I could do it that way up until I got to the D/F# to G chord transition.
So I'm working on that.

Regarding the Scorpions: (still listen to their version of DITW)
I wouldn't have thought those two bands were the same.
Amazing what they can do with stage make-up!

I'm (floating on air) outta here,
You have a great day, Nuno. I am.
(my smileys are not working either - but today, I don't need them)
KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 10/05/2008 11:29 am
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

For example, Kenny, how did you that? Dust in the wind was the first song I learnt in my second era and I'm only able to play it by strumming! Congrats!

As if we haven't had enough problems getting Ken out of the dungeon, Nuno goes and makes things worse by feeding his delusions which has made his cranium swell to gigantic proportions, thus reducing the possibility for him to fit through apertures us mortals call doors!

And if that wasn't bad enough - NO SMILIES - HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP!

Rock on!

D (looking cool in sunglasses whatever the weather)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 12/05/2008 10:16 am
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

As if we haven't had enough problems getting Ken out of the dungeon, Nuno goes and makes things worse by feeding his delusions which has made his cranium swell to gigantic proportions, thus reducing the possibility for him to fit through apertures us mortals call doors!

What delusions?
or which delusions?
Hey, reality is too harsh for me to accept.
My little world is so much more cozy, and safe.
(I would say warm but it's cold in this dungeon)

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 12/05/2008 3:16 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Hey Dylan! You also improved a lot! ;-D

Everybody did it! Everybody but me :-/

Meanwhile the smilies aren't up again, we could use the old usenet ones. Plain ascii is always up ;-)

Posted : 12/05/2008 8:39 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

So I decided to learn "19 Somethin" to help with Bar Chords. With the exception of E and A, the rest are all Bar Chords (B, G#m, C#m, and F#m7) and there are a lot of chord switches.

I seemed to play this song a bit too fast, so I was listening to it while I was playing, but for whatever reason, I had the volume down too low and it kind of was pointless, so I won't do that again.

Please just ignore the vocals, I sound like I'm going through puberty. :D

As a side note, any tips on using a pick while strumming would be helpful, I can't seem to keep the pick from turning in my hand while I'm playing, so I just went without it.

Posted : 14/05/2008 2:53 am
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Hey Joe

That was really good. In fact, too good!

For me, the jury is out on your beginners status...

Rock on!

D (Raybans)

Posted : 14/05/2008 7:25 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Thanks for the kind words, I think the guitar was decent, the vocals...well, I won't even comment.

As far as the jury on the beginner status, I dunno, I think I am a beginner, I can't play alot of intermediate stuff no matter how hard I try. :D

Posted : 14/05/2008 7:55 am
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I'd like to try doing a video of something simple like "House of the Rising Sun" and get your opinion. Is there a primer somewhere on the internet that explains how to make and post a video?
Rob
Canada
I just got a webcam and recorded me attempting to play my guitar.
Then registered at Photobucket.com and uploaded my video there.
Next I came here and gave everyone the link to my photobucket video.
And instantly became a star.
Did they tell you I was delusional? Don't believe them. I'm perfectly sanitary.

Posted : 15/05/2008 3:37 am
Page 31 / 73