Beginner's videos

1,082 Posts
81 Users
0 Likes
271 K Views
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

That instrument in you sig is amazing.

How far away do you think we are from actually seeing that in person?

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 15/05/2008 8:45 am
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Hi guys and gals,

Yup, another vid to make you all feel good about yourselves.

I'm making progress, but slowly. I'm able to practice for quite a few hours most days if I wish, but it's interesting that it only seems to become easier to play the day after... :?

Still, it's great fun and I can read tabs and create a noise that sounds similar to the songs that I have loved to listen to over the years and now I can sort of play them. :D

Practice, practice, practice. Sorry the vids a bit long, believe me, I had to hone it down to this. There's a lot of out-takes on the cutting room floor... :oops:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cRKj47Z17Y8

Enjoy, fellow beginners.

Rock on !

D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 19/05/2008 3:49 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

A good update on your YouTube chronicles.
Very entertaining as usual.
I show my wife your videos.
You have at least two fans. (she and I)

Somewhere in the future,
(When your grandchildren check the Wykopedia for “Rock and Roll”)
There will be a footnote under Rock and Roll Stars.
It will say, “Oh yes, Dylan Barrett also attempted to become Rock star”
And then there will be a link to your YouTube videos.

Hey, DB . . . rock on, dood, rock on.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 19/05/2008 4:08 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Dylan says in YouTube:
It seems like only yesterday I started learning to play...and probably still sounds like it.
Absolutely no!

The chord changes in the last part are very smooth! You must practice the barre chords but (almost) all of us need practice some barre chord.

Congrats Dylan!

Posted : 19/05/2008 4:35 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Awesome video Dylan. I enjoy watching them, and I think you are selling your self short in your playing. Nice!

Posted : 20/05/2008 3:31 am
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

Nice work Dylan!

Ok, I tried to record a little something thhis evening, practicing this solo for 1-2 days only... There's much more to come from this solo, but I wanted to record something and that's all I was able to plya for the moment.

The second part of this solo (played 2 times in the video) is really bad, I know :lol: I was not sure what note I should be playing so...

Anyway, I post something! :D

Sorry for the video quality...

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

Posted : 22/05/2008 12:59 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

WOW!!! That's pretty impressive!

Posted : 22/05/2008 5:48 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Well done Clau!

One or two days? Only? :shock:
You are my guitar heroine! :D

Posted : 22/05/2008 5:53 am
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Hey Claudine

Pretty tasty licks there... although I was distracted by the backing track which actually made you sound like you were playing in a club!

Did I mention I'm going to get one of those electric things and have a bit of fun - you will be pleased to know that I'm practicing using a pick for just such an occasion....Won't be for a few months though.

What are your plans with your guitar playing? Will you just play for personal enjoyment or do you fancy joining a band at some point? I know I'd like to do some solo stuff but really looking forward to getting good enough to play in a band...

Rock on!

D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 22/05/2008 12:53 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Wow, Claudine
Let's get together and jam sometime.
I'll hold your guitar chord while you play. :shock:

I don't think I've wandered higher than the 7th fret on my guitar.

Good job! You're my guitar heroine.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 22/05/2008 1:00 pm
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

Thanks for the comments!
Well done Clau!

One or two days? Only? :shock:
You are my guitar heroine! :D

Well, in this case, 1 or 2 days means many hours of practice in those 1 or two days :wink: I think I've done nothing but playing guitar this weekend :roll: So I'm not phenomenal yet, I practice, that's the way I become better (or I hope to become better) :wink:

Sorry Dylan for the bad audio quality too. I may try to record myself alone and put a backing track on my computer AFTER.. Maybe the sound will be better... But I don't like to play alone, I need drums and bass :wink: It's good to keep the beat too...

Happy for you Dylan! You'll finally get an electric guitar! Nice, can't wait to see you play on that new 6 string

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

Posted : 22/05/2008 8:13 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

I decided that I wanted a full size guitar, so I went to the local Sam Ash and picked up a fairly decent Epiphone guitar that has a cut-away in it so I have access to frets past 13. My fingers are so short if I have a full body it doesn't seem to work too well. And as we all know the better the instrument the better the playing right? :lol: Too bad it doesn't work like that for my singing.

Anyway, here is a song that I covered, and this was the first time I did any sort of my own arranging since I really didn't like what was posted on the internet. It's called Ol' Red by Blake Shelton. Feel free to have your dogs howl along with me. :)

Posted : 23/05/2008 2:53 am
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Hey Joe

I think you've just about nailed the sort of music that you're voice is happy with. You need to listen back at this recording though and see where you're having problems - definitely midrange. I reckon you could keep the tonal range low all the way through the song - without being monotonous - and it would sound really good.

It's not my sort of music, but I listened all the way through and found it very pleasing to the ear - I suppose 'cos it reminded me of the sort of music my dear old Dad used to listen to - it gave me a nice feeling.

Guitar playing was sweet, clean and precise, just what we've come to expect from a beginner... :roll:

I think after listening to this, the jury would have made it's decision....

Rock on!

D 8)

Posted : 23/05/2008 7:36 am
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Hi all

I haven't been on here a lot and I haven't really caught up with the recent stuff but...

I think I've finally worked out how to use the movie mode on my digital camera. So you never know, I might post a new contribution soon. Not that I have anything new, anyway :roll: But to be fair just reaching the strings at the moment with an 8 months bump is a performance in itself!

Do you think they'll let me have a guitar in my hospital room when I go in to have the baby? :shock:

Posted : 24/05/2008 8:47 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Do you think they'll let me have a guitar in my hospital room when I go in to have the baby? :shock:
Of course!

Did you already learn some lullabies? :lol:

Posted : 25/05/2008 8:01 am
Page 32 / 73