Clear all

Beginner's videos

1,082 Posts
81 Users
0 Likes
270.9 K Views
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

I see everyone's gone quiet now :| you all hiding?
Yep, behind the TV, watching Olympics!

Yeah, true! Let's go CANADA! :wink:

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

Posted : 10/08/2008 8:45 pm
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Hey all you Eaglets....

I'm in a state of depression.... :( Well, make that a double depression... :( :(

I had to save some groovy chick from being washed out to sea the other day, and in the process lost my shades... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: now, they're either resting on the sea bed or being worn by some cool salt-water dude - hopefully a great white or something like that.... Shades IV - :note2: dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum :note2:

Anyhows, got another pair on order, but I feel sooo naked without them.

Adding to that, I'm going through a fretboard crisis, which I'm sure we all go through, but I just can't seem to be able to improve on whatever I'm playing or practicing - same damn mistakes each time, same lousy transisions, and don't get me started on barre chords - why is it, that every tune i want to play recently starts off with open chords...turn the page then - Grrrrrrr, a B or F, or G.............. Don't you just love the automatic censorship on this board? :roll:

So, Hotel California - yup, I noticed it had gone quiet. I've been practicing - Oh, how I've been practicing. I'm working on the live intro section, overlaid onto the chords which I'm having to use a capo for some of them - quite amusing really but works ok... I keep telling myself that after 10/11 months I've still got a way to go... :cry: and i've decided that the strings on my guitar are a bit to far away from the fretboard and makes the barre's, hammer ons and pull offs just that little bit more FRUSTRATING!!!!!!!! :twisted:

So there we are....respect to the Wild Thing. Ken, you're playing the bongos.

RIP Isaac. Rock on!

D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 11/08/2008 12:12 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Come on, Dylan! :D

Keep practicing. My Spanish guitar has a very, very high action and it did I bought my first electric. But my Spanish guitar has more than 25 years!

If you have problems with the major barre chords, try the minor or seventh chords or even the minor seventh chords! I used to be in troubles when I wanted to used the four fingers simultaneously. Some minor chords (the E shaped ones) and a lot of seventh chords use only two fingers and the index for the barre. You can play the minor seventh with the barre and your ring finger in the 5th string (Am7 = barre on 5th and the ring on the 7th). I strengthened my index in that way and also improved the coordination between the fingers.

On the other hand, I practically got the first 8 measures of the solo. I have to work on the timing now.

Nuno

Posted : 11/08/2008 12:41 pm
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

I want to thank you all for including me in that project, I just can't stop listening to Hotel California now, such a NICE song!

I think I'm going to learn it from the begining to the end :D (Nuno, you'll have to check you Private Message soon :wink: )

I thought it was my own

Posted : 11/08/2008 3:12 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

So there we are....respect to the Wild Thing. Ken, you're playing the bongos.
Bongos? Hotel California?

Hmmm . . . . looking . . . . Calypso version?

or This???

Hot, hot, hot

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 11/08/2008 10:11 pm
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

Ken, you could play the muted chords if you want? (it may be another instrument too, I don't really know, but there's a kind of muted string!)

You have a good rythm as I remember, and it will not be too hard to learn :)

I thought it was my own

Posted : 12/08/2008 3:23 am
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Derek

You did a real good job there.

Start a new post here in Hear Here or most folks won't see this.

You did good. :D

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 12/08/2008 11:01 pm
(@simonsays)
Estimable Member

i've decided that the strings on my guitar are a bit to far away from the fretboard and makes the barre's, hammer ons and pull offs just that little bit more FRUSTRATING!!!!!!!! :twisted:

quote]

Dylan, there might well be some benefit to having a neck set-up done on your guitar. When I got my new guitar it sounded great but played like a dog because of the high action at the nut. I paid £25 (Including an new set of strings) and the action is now beautiful, I can almost barre an F without using any pressure from my thumb at all. I really do consider it money well spent.

Simon

There are too many songs that have an 'F' chord in them.

Posted : 15/08/2008 4:31 am
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Hi Guys and Gals

Just a quick update on things....

Good news - I've just received a new pair of shades to replace the pair that were washed out to sea a few weeks ago, so...I can now face the the bright lights and return to the stage... :D

Now, I haven't forgotten about the collaboration and I AM practicing the introduction riff, but If you've been following my videos, you'll be aware that I am into my last four weeks - can you believe it has been 11 months... :shock: - in which I set myself a target of learning the guitar, writing a song AND try to sing along without ANY prior experience....

Basically, I'm going to concentrate on covering a few more simple tunes to get rid of the stage fright and then, hopefully, recording a couple of my own compositions....then I will be able to concentrate on the collaboration which will make a nice finale for me to exit the 'beginners video' thread...

Thanks for the advice on the guitar Simon - yes, I agree with your idea. I have heard that it can be done, but my little ole six-string is quite a cheap thing and I reckon it might be better for me to treat myself to a better guitar, rather than spending money on this one (she is very dear to my heart though)...

I'm going to visit my friend in France who is a guitar teacher - so I will be able to see whether it really is the guitar action - or just me... :roll: Then - electric - YES - excellent. Probably another cheap one to start, then I'll get one of those Gilmore replicas or something....no excuses then.. :?

Anyways, y'all keep practicing and I'll see you soon.

Rock on Eaglets!

D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 22/08/2008 10:16 am
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Thanks, DB, for the update.
I was getting ready to send a PM to see if everything was alright.
It's been a while.

And yes, "time flies when you're having fun" . . .and is slowed down when practicing the F chord.
The "Guitar Chronicles of Dyaln Barrett" was a brilliant idea.
Hopefully, it will be viewed someday in Ohio's "Rock and Roll Hall of Fame."

Rock on, dude. 8) (the "shades" are back on)

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 22/08/2008 10:55 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Dylan, don't worry! We are here just for fun. Write that song and keep practicing, we will do the collaboration when you and everybody is ready!

:D

Posted : 22/08/2008 9:09 pm
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Hi Guys and Gals

Here's my latest video. Ok, so I can now play a tune, standing up, singing along and keeping to some sort of tempo. In this vid I use a backing track to simulate playing with other musicians. :lol:

It's good practice, because i don't use a metronome for keeping time - I just use my own rhythm clock and I suppose that's ok until you start jammin' and playing with others - which i really want to do, as well as the solo stuff.

I actually might record this again using some different chords and to my own style just as an acoustic...might be fun :?

Anyways, enjoy. I've got another three covers to record then it's onto my own creation..... :roll:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TgaS2T00JaI

Rock on fellow beginners!

D 8)

Posted : 25/08/2008 1:47 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Dylan...

Great playing, great timing and great singing!

I think you are at the beginning of a new stage.

Many congrats! :D

Posted : 25/08/2008 2:45 pm
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

Nice Job Dylan, you're getting better and better!

8)

I thought it was my own

Posted : 26/08/2008 3:54 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Dude!
That was great!
You've done it!
You're standing in front of a camera ("on stage under the hot lights") making beautiful music!
I'm really proud of you, DB.
Looks like your chronicles are going to have a happy, successful ending.
And the journey was pretty cool too.

Rock on, dude, rock on.

KR2 ("Dude" is now an integral part of my vocabulary)

Posted : 27/08/2008 1:39 pm
Page 43 / 73