Beginner's videos

1,082 Posts
81 Users
0 Likes
270.9 K Views
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Now - do I really have to post a bass guitar solo for my free drink?

Yep :twisted:

DO IT DO IT DO IT!

Posted : 19/01/2009 5:08 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

OK, I'll give it a try in the AM. But you know what? I've fallen foul of the newbie bass players curse - I really should have known better. I've got a blister on my right hand index finger - which is also my strumming finger. Looks like I'm going to have to use a plec for a few days....

DUMB, DUMB, DUMB - I've been playing long enough to know better. Couldn't help it, though - been so long since I've played a bass, I'd forgotten how long it took to build the callouses up on the RIGHT hand! And I've given it some really heavy work this weekend - hardly put the damn thing down!

Oh well - like I said, I'll give it a shot in the AM.....

Mumbles to self...Smoke on the water. Huh. G Bb and C - I hate bloody Bb.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 19/01/2009 9:57 pm
(@roundi)
Estimable Member

Hey, welcome Round1 (I'm sure you must have a real name).

Yup I do "Rob"

I am just about down with the song now, from Davids lesson with the exception of the Pre-Chorous, I can never remember it all. I can play it if I follow along the tab though. Still can't do more than answer a simple question while playing though.

Also Ken I like your diamonds and rust I don't know the origional, I will have to go google it.
Thanks to all for recording their songs, I find them very inspiring. I will get there one day.

Posted : 27/01/2009 5:40 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Thanks, Rob.
Here's a quick link for you Joan Baez - Diamonds and Rust

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 27/01/2009 6:09 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Now - do I really have to post a bass guitar solo for my free drink?

Yep :twisted:

DO IT DO IT DO IT!

Sorry, but I'm going to cry "WIMP!" for the moment - I've tried playing the new bass through the cube30x amp. And I really can't get anything like the sound I want. I have to start turning the bass knob down at volume 1 - otherwise it rattles like hell. I can play it at VERY low volumes, but that's all - tried recording a couple of clips, but all I can hear is fret buzz.

I do apologise....but there is NO WAY I'm going to risk blowing my speaker. I've only got one amp, lose that and I'm totally screwed....no, I'm not going to take the chance.

it's not that I'm shy or anything - hey, Ken, I'll give you a quick blast of Smoke On The Water (on guitar) anytime - I really, really, don't want to damage my amp. It's okay playing the bass through it at volume 1.5 (approx) - any louder than that, everything starts rattling. Even with the bass (on the amp) turned down to zero, the mids turned right down, and the treble down as well. I just do not think it's worth the risk.

So please, bear with me? Wait till I get a bass amp?

I mean, it's not even if I'm a beginner to bass - I JUST WANTED THE FREE DRINK, OK? - and KR2 pushed me here. So - if you want to hear a song I've actually played bass on, try here....

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=5803419&q=hi&newref=1 OR

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=5514293&q=hi&newref=1 OR

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=5507382&q=hi&newref=1

Does that get me a drink? Pint of lager? PLEASE? Not that I'm desperate or anything.......

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 29/01/2009 11:49 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

No worry, Vic.
Yep you still get a free drink . . . as soon as Isabelle checks in . . . I don't have a liquor license.

Those three links just take me to the main page of SoundClick.

KR2

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 29/01/2009 11:57 pm
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Yeh Vic

Giving us those links are like signing M.Mouse on a cheque that's been 'in the post' for the last two weeks... :roll:

C'mon, give us all a laugh.....please.... :wink:

Rock on!
D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 31/01/2009 9:33 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

No worry, Vic.
Yep you still get a free drink . . . as soon as Isabelle checks in . . . I don't have a liquor license.

Those three links just take me to the main page of SoundClick.

KR2

Yeh Vic

Giving us those links are like signing M.Mouse on a cheque that's been 'in the post' for the last two weeks...

Grrrrr - I don't know why, but every time I try to post a link to a single song on Soundclick, it defaults to the main page...

So here's a link to my main music page..... http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=225059 ....if that comes up OK, try clicking on one of the following:

Blink Of An Eye
Blood On Your Hands #4
Mid-life Crisis Male Menopause Blues
Screw The Neighbours
Masquerade(2)

Vic

Posted : 31/01/2009 9:49 am
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

How's that?

You should get a half pint, really, for lying about being a beginner at bass :roll:

Still planning a Newton/Liverpool visit with Mr Noir - not too sure how/when. You'll get your drinkies - if you can wait til then!

Now Fellow Beginners, I've been trying to learn Cats in The Cradle (DH's 'intermediate' lesson - can you believe I'm doing 'intermediate' now? Wow :o Never thought THAT possible!). I'm finding it hard with the capo on the 8th fret + I managed to cut my middle finger with a bread knife the other day. Tiny little cut, but extremely annoying when playing guitar. So anyway, still I video'd myself yesterday... when I played it back, all I had was a very loud buzz.

I need to sort out my microphone. It'll be a while, I don't have the energy to do it now :x

Posted : 01/02/2009 9:32 am
(@davidhodge)

Hi Isabelle

You only need to use your capo on the eighth fret if you're playing along with the original recording. The lesson's try to teach the song in the original key but you should feel free to play it anywhere. Fifth or sixth fret will sound fine, too. I know some people who have high or low voices and don't use the capo at all.

Good luck with this! Looking forward to hearing how things are coming along.

Peace

Posted : 01/02/2009 12:28 pm
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Hi David :D

Yes.... Isabelle started out playing it with no capo, and she did a wonderful job of it :mrgreen:

It really did change the whole feeling of the song tho.... very melancholy/sad without the capo.
It was interesting to hear/feel that change.

Maybe I'll bring along my cam :wink:

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

Posted : 01/02/2009 6:51 pm
(@stellabloo)
Estimable Member

Kenny! :shock:
I was absolutely blown away by your rendition of Diamonds and Dust :cry:

Bravo! More!

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's really all about?

~ why yes, I am available on youtube ~
http://www.youtube.com/stellabloo

Posted : 12/02/2009 4:04 am
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Really? :shock:

Thank you. That's very kind of you.

KR2

Posted : 12/02/2009 12:55 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Isabelle to leave "Beginner's Video" thread? Judge for yourselves - look where she's playing now.....

Vic

Posted : 01/03/2009 3:59 pm
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Yes folks. That's where I've been hiding... :roll:

Posted : 01/03/2009 5:44 pm
Page 54 / 73