Beginner's videos

1,082 Posts
81 Users
0 Likes
270.9 K Views
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Good job Ken! The strumming and rhythm are almost perfect. The chord changes are very smooth, too. Just a small delay in the F with the barre. That is a good 'verse' part, now a chorus and you can sing one of your lyrics!

Posted : 21/03/2009 12:06 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I threw in some suspended chords to break up the monotony . . .

Suspended chords? Breaking up the monotony? Ken, you are in serious danger of having your "beginner" status revoked - hey, Status Quo have been accused of only using three chords AND of being monotonous since about 1971....and it's only a couple of years ago they released an album called "In Search Of The Fourth Chord!" You've used four chords on this - AND the sus chords......

I think you're going to have to move on to "Virtual Busking!"

Seriously, the chord changes are coming along nicely - just a little hesitancy, as Nuno noted, on the F chord. Have you ever tried playing it like this......

C chord....

F chord....

and if you can play it there, it's not too hard to move the whole shape up a couple of frets for a G chord....

Now I know, this could be influenced by the fact that due to that nasty hand injury I had a couple of years ago, I'll try and avoid barre chords - at least, the E-shaped ones - wherever possible and play them as F-shaped half barres like in the pic of the F chord above - if you can move that shape up and down the neck at will, you'll take a big step forward in your guitar playing. At least I found that to be so....and you DO have long fingers, so it shouldn't be too difficult for you. With practise, of course - LOTS of practise, which is what it took me!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 22/03/2009 3:25 am
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Yay KR - look at you barring away!

I will be posting a vid some time soon too (hopefully). Though I need a lot more practice. It's got barres, and I still hate them.

Daven - how did the string changing go? Maybe you should have video'd that! I know I THOUGHT about it the first time I did it, though the vid would have been a couple of hours long :lol:

Posted : 22/03/2009 8:21 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Hey KR2, nicely done. That one hesitation on the f-barre looked more like an almost went to the wrong chord thing. Looked pretty good to me all around.

I now envy you as I do Claudine with fingers like that. I'll never be able to fret a low e with my thumb and still make other chords like a open D or anything. You can also forget any chance of the 4+ fret stretch out of me.

Very nice guitar, btw. You show exceptional taste. 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 22/03/2009 10:03 am
(@stellabloo)
Estimable Member

Nice, your little avatar is dancing around right on the beat :wink:

Kenny, I like it! Where you thinking of a particular melody or effect or just trying different chords together?

"Messin Around" is a great title but it really seems to be begging for some words. I KNOW YOU CAN SING :twisted:

There should definitely be a sticky for this thred in the beginner's section but we have to make it perfectly clear that you do not have to write your own songs to post here! This is a safe space 8) you do not have to sing or even really play (!) for that matter - do not let the senior class intimidate you :lol:

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's really all about?

~ why yes, I am available on youtube ~
http://www.youtube.com/stellabloo

Posted : 23/03/2009 12:14 am
(@daven)
Estimable Member

Yay KR - look at you barring away!

I will be posting a vid some time soon too (hopefully). Though I need a lot more practice. It's got barres, and I still hate them.

Daven - how did the string changing go? Maybe you should have video'd that! I know I THOUGHT about it the first time I did it, though the vid would have been a couple of hours long :lol:
Well, I was all hyped to give it a try but we'd invited my dad to dinner so it was Spagetti and cribbage instead. Then the weather got so nice I sat on the porch and played guitar a much better use of time. (not sure my neighbors would agree) :) This would be my second string change, I broke a b string a couple weeks after I got the guitar. I didn't like this set when I put them on I thought they sounded tinny with no bass and even though I streched them to get them settled they weren't holding tune. They seem a little better now so I'l play them a while longer.
Not quite ready with a vid. Need a little more speed and accuracy. I think my guitar shrunk, the frets sure seem smaller. :D

Posted : 23/03/2009 4:59 pm
(@davidhodge)

It's been ages since I've had a good game of Cribbage. Any game of Cribbage, come to think of it. Postponing computer work for a game of Cribbage is officially okay. :wink:

Seriously, there are no deadlines, so do things when you're ready. You'll do a lot better if you're enjoying yourself and not worrying about being in front of a camera.

Peace

Posted : 23/03/2009 5:13 pm
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Heeelooooooooooooooooooooo everybodyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy ah!

Phew, got that out of the way....

Say, look at all these posts - you turn your back for one second and the thread is abuzz with newbies and prodigies... :roll:

Hi Daven (sounds Welsh? In Wisconsin???). Bemvindo. Sorry, very poor excuse about the first video being poor quality. Probably wasn't a lot worse than Hermans Hermits original recording for the BBC. I hope you have kept it for the archives. Really, just post it whatever! Crikey, didn't know they played Cribbage in Wisconsin - great game but can get a bit violent at times when the matchsticks start flying around.. :D

I remember when I decided to change my strings for the first time - the horror, the horror - got through a couple of sets, tuned too high, terrible, but it gets easier, honestly... :roll:

Hey KR2 - feels like home, doesn't it! Glad to see you're only making about the same progress as me with the barre chords (or maybe slightly better)...lovely slender fingers though, as Roy has noticed, very much Claudinesque - actually, where is Claudine - didn't she go off to School or something? Anyways Ken, thought you were going to break into The Streets of London...

As for Vic's (cheating) barre chord lesson - it's interesting to watch some acoustic performance on YouTube - I like to look carefully at where they put their capo and what chords they use against the tabs that are posted and some performers seem to prefer to use the open chords with the thumb over the top rather than using barre's on live performances. I really don't know why because I'm sure they can play barre's, they just don't... answers on a postcard to....

My videos, well, yes, urm, now, where is that Cribbage board... :?

Rock on!
D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 25/03/2009 11:06 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

very much Claudinesque - actually, where is Claudine - didn't she go off to School or something?

She's at school, and needs your help with a research paper. Everyone go to the thread and help her out, eh? https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=43840

Glad to see you still kicking about. Have you got a new youtube video series started? Your your 1 was entertaining.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 25/03/2009 11:24 am
(@daven)
Estimable Member

Say, look at all these posts - you turn your back for one second and the thread is abuzz with newbies and prodigies...

Hi Daven (sounds Welsh? In Wisconsin???). Bemvindo. Sorry, very poor excuse about the first video being poor quality. Probably wasn't a lot worse than Hermans Hermits original recording for the BBC. I hope you have kept it for the archives. Really, just post it whatever! Crikey, didn't know they played Cribbage in Wisconsin - great game but can get a bit violent at times when the matchsticks start flying around..

I remember when I decided to change my strings for the first time - the horror, the horror - got through a couple of sets, tuned too high, terrible, but it gets easier, honestly...
Hey Dylan, No, Norwegian, father's family name was Hanson but with so many Hansons greatGF took name from the region he immigrated from called Nesshoden(?). Mother was English, Scot, and a bit of other.
There was a large Welsh / Italian community in NE Wisconsin in the iron mining region Hurley, WI, Ironwood, MI, Iron Mountain, MI area from about 1900 through the 1960's. It's much smaller and older since the mines closed.
I didn't save the first vid but I may be able to make a new one this week I doubt it will be much better than the first. Cribbage, yup almost lost an eye last week, got my cards up just in time. :)
Strings, well I don't even know what weight I want to use and I'm too frugal to try a set and swap them off without trying to play em to death. I have a set of lights .012 to .053, on now, I'd like to try a lighter set and a heavier set and then maybe try a couple different brands. Any suggestions on weights/brands for acoustic?

Posted : 25/03/2009 3:41 pm
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Hey Daven

In my limited experience, I should go for extra lights to save those little pinkies all the heartache...
Move onto something thicker when you're a pro... :roll:

But of course, other people much more experienced than me may tell you otherwise.

Good to have you along. Can't wait for the vid.

Rock on!
D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 25/03/2009 4:43 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Extra lights for sure if you are sensitive, wish I did that in hindsight
I should go for extra lights to save those little pinkies all the heartache
Exactly, there were times I wanted to stop they hurt so much.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 28/03/2009 9:17 am
(@isabelle)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

http://media.putfile.com/Jet---Come-Around-Again

*tiptoes out of the thread hoping she won't be seen*

Aaaaaaaaaah what am I saying - the playing is bad, the singing is atrocious, I'm making the lyrics up; PERFECT for Beginner's Videos.

This is Jet - Come Around Again.

Well, it isn't really Jet.

It's me.

Trying to play Jet.

How do you like the bridge? :lol:

-this is a cheat song btw, I'm still still STILL working on my barres :( -

Posted : 28/03/2009 8:10 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member

well i've never heard that song before but i really liked it.
and dont knock your voice - its far better than mine :D
nice chord changes.
good job!

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 28/03/2009 8:29 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I agree! :D

The guitar playing is almost perfect, the chord changes are very smooth. And Isabelle, is it the first time you sing a song?

Posted : 28/03/2009 9:04 pm
Page 56 / 73