Beginner's videos

1,082 Posts
81 Users
0 Likes
270.9 K Views
(@peejay)
Estimable Member

Alright, you guys wanted an easy barre chord song. :lol:

Like stella(?) said (paraphrasing of course), the nicest type of songs to learn on are the ones that, when you play them really slowly, just sound like you're putting more emotion into them. ;)

I have no idea if this is the easiest/best/right way to play this, but it sounds good enough to me. I'll tell you what it is after we get through the barring (real word?).

Lesson 1: Play an E chord with fingers 2,3,4. (Easy, but if you're used to using 1,2,3 it will feel different.) Play it until it feels okay.

Now, if you have lesson 1 done, lesson 2 really won't be that hard, I promise. And look at lesson 1. It's SO easy. :mrgreen:

Lesson 2: Play your E chord with 2,3,4 and leave your fingers there (so far so good). Now, slide your hand up without changing your hand position (okay, it will change slightly because of fret size) 7 frets. This will put fingers 3 and 4 on fret 9 and finger 2 on fret 8. Strum a bit. It won't really sound like anything, just make sure the notes are pretty clean.

Lesson 3: Your index finger hasn't been used yet. It's probably getting bored and you're feeling like it's in the way. So lay it down on fret 7. The only things you actually need to cover are strings 1, 5, and 6, because the others you've already got other fingers on. Which makes this pretty easy to do, because those annoying finger-gaps (at least mine) tend to be centered around strings 2, 3, 4. If you do manage to find a finger-gap regardless, leave your 2,3,4 fingers firmly planted, and you should be able to move your index finger up or down without much problem until you hopefully find a spot that works. Keep strumming til you hear it. You'll know when you do, because it will sound like a major chord (I'm not emphasizing which chord for a reason. :P )

When you make it through lesson 3, let me know and I'll continue. I'd like to make a video of these 3 lessons too, but I had 3 rechargable batteries that decided they'd had enough recharging, so It'll have to wait until I get more. Feel free to make your own though, if you get something that sounds good before I get to it. :D

Posted : 09/11/2007 9:59 pm
(@peejay)
Estimable Member

Brand new batteries!

So, I combined my steps 1, 2, and 3 into one short video. The angle isn't great, but I tried to make sure you could see the free index finger in the first 2 steps, and how to move the index finger up and down in step 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pkc75ICzZTg

Maybe it will help someone. :)

Posted : 10/11/2007 10:35 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Nice video Peejay! :D

I improved my barre chord playing blues progressions with 7th barre chords. I guess the barre chords have several problems. To me the most important problems were the lack of strength in the index and you are using the four fingers simultaneously. By playing 7th barre chords, sometimes the middle finger can help to the index for the barre and always you leave at least one finger free.

Posted : 10/11/2007 11:48 pm
(@boogie)
Honorable Member

I just spent some time watching these videos. I'm giving you all a standing ovation. It takes a lot of personal fortitude to put yourselves out here. Kudos to you.

I thought I was pushing myself in the jams and collaborations forums. I think this thread takes it to another level. I have a webcam sitting here on my desk. I may have to install and use it. :oops:

Posted : 11/11/2007 1:28 am
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

Come on Boogie, we want to see you play!

And one thing that's nice with take video of yourself is when you'll watch them in a few month, you'll see how much you improve!

Ok, now, I recorded another video of myself, playing MAry Jane Last Dance, but just a bit, cause it's too long to upload... :evil:

So here it is:

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

Posted : 11/11/2007 3:44 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Great job Clau! Very smooth chord changes, (and some of those chords are alittle tricky!), and your timing sounded right on. Keep it up! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 11/11/2007 1:09 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Ok, now, I recorded another video of myself

Clau, you get the top video award (IMHO) for the best looking hands. I loved it. Pleasing on the ears and eyes.
Your guitar looks like it has a wider neck (fretboard) than most. What kind of guitar is that?

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 13/11/2007 11:23 pm
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

Ok, now, I recorded another video of myself

Clau, you get the top video award (IMHO) for the best looking hands. I loved it. Pleasing on the ears and eyes.
Your guitar looks like it has a wider neck (fretboard) than most. What kind of guitar is that?

You're not the first one commenting on my hands :lol: I don't understand why you (and some others) think they are great. Yes, I have long finger, but I'm not the only one who have such long finger... Am I? :roll: lol

I don't know if my guitar has a wider neck than most. I saw a description of it on the net and they don't talk about that
http://www.onlinemusicstore.com.au/index.php?page=showProduct&id=IBSZ520QMLBT

It's an Ibanez, SZ520QM

On the link, it is sold 999$, but I paid it, brand new, 600$ in my local shop :D

I thought it was my own

Posted : 14/11/2007 2:19 am
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

It's funny. You type like a Francophone. But, that's coming from a BCer.

By the way, I'm surprised that those guitars are going at such a high price online. Maybe it's because he works for a luthier but my bro bought his at around $600 + tax.

Nice guitar by the way. Very playable. A shredders dream.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

Posted : 14/11/2007 5:32 am
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

It's funny. You type like a Francophone. But, that's coming from a BCer.

By the way, I'm surprised that those guitars are going at such a high price online. Maybe it's because he works for a luthier but my bro bought his at around $600 + tax.

Nice guitar by the way. Very playable. A shredders dream.

A BCer!

Yes, I'm a francophone from Montreal. That's why my english may seem strange sometimes :wink:

By the way, I've come to BC last summer and it was just a TOO beautiful place! I like your blue lake! In Quebec, we have some boring green-brown lake. And the city of Victoria was really nice too! And I've been to Vancouver for one day :)

Yeah, and the guitar is very playable! You're right

I thought it was my own

Posted : 14/11/2007 11:00 am
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Clau, what book did you get your Stairway to Heaven song from?
And does it have tabs?
I'd like to give that song a try. And having the tabs would make it so much easier for me.
Thanks

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 14/11/2007 3:27 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

http://www.google.nl/search?q=stairway+heaven+tab

Posted : 14/11/2007 4:36 pm
(@stellabloo)
Estimable Member

Claudine NICE :shock: and the guitar looks good too!

Er, yes my schedule is completely hooped with my precious golden hour of silence GONE (sigh) so hopefully another video soon :roll: but who knows? I am still practicing but a lot of one-song-at-a-time-when-I-can. The girls don't nap :evil:

.... hoping to bring you Comfortably Numb - soon - as it is dead easy, you just strum along in time to the words which pretty much everyone has sorta memorized KWIM? The chords are in the Easy Song section BTW. This is another song my teenager 'dared' me to play.
...and I am hoping to show off something like a 2nd position barre A ? I found this a useful trick especially good with A .... for example in a song like Comfortably Numb your ear is telling you that the D chord should move UP to the A (e.g. '(D) when I was a child (A) I had a fever...) .

Also I do try to experiment on the lower strings as well using the barre chord concept - an example would be the intro to Paul Simon's Slip Sliding Away - which I play badly but it is good practice for the effin F chord :evil: etc .....- My only consolation is that I still have a day job LOL

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's really all about?

~ why yes, I am available on youtube ~
http://www.youtube.com/stellabloo

Posted : 14/11/2007 5:07 pm
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Clau, what book did you get your Stairway to Heaven song from?
And does it have tabs?
I'd like to give that song a try. And having the tabs would make it so much easier for me.
Thanks

Whhhaaaaat... :shock: C'mon Ken - Stairway to Heaven - reckon we're gonna have to kick you off the 'beginners' video string if you are attempting that one.... :lol: Maybe up to: 'Ooooooh and it makes me wonder......' But not too good mind! :wink:

I may just take a little peek at those tabs if they're posted, but I'm really trying to concentrate on playing at least one song all the way through for my next vid - and it won't be Stairway to Heaven :roll:

By the way, I have a theory about Claudine's fingers and fretboard - most peoples fretboards look wider than mine so I reckon it could be a distortion in the video... :? Or I've got the narrowest fretboard in the universe.

Stella, glad to see we haven't lost you to your virtual busking thread....

See you all on the fretboard to heaven...

Rock on!

D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

Posted : 14/11/2007 5:56 pm
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

The fretboards on those Ibanez guitars are wider than Strat type fretboards. They're even a bit wider than Les Paul fretboards but they are also very shallow necks which really compensates. A local luthier here lovingly calles them hockey sticks cause they're so thin.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

Posted : 14/11/2007 7:22 pm
Page 9 / 73